August 23rd, 2013 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Carl Lawson, ESPN, Mississippi State, NCAA, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Practice Reports, Year Zero
1. Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp doubles down on his defense of Johnny Manziel: “I’ve seen things that other folks can’t see. And it didn’t happen. It did not happen.” Report: Nate Fitch hires an attorney.
2. Texas A&M redshirt freshman quarterback Matt Davis is transferring to Tyler Junior College. Johnny Manziel’s backups are junior Matt Joeckel and incoming freshman Kenny Hill.
3. Georgia’s 2012 class had 17 members. Nine of them are projected starters.
4. Arkansas allowed almost 286 passing yards per game a year ago but expect their safeties to be a strength this year.
5. South Carolina wide receiver Damiere Byrd is the fastest guy on the team, doubles as a sprinter on the track team.
6. Ole Miss has added freshman Laquon Treadwell to a deep receiving corps led by Donte Moncrief. Expect them to create plenty of match-up issues.
7. Ole Miss-Vanderbilt game could feature brothers in opposing uniforms.
8. James Franklin’s message to Vanderbilt fans: ”There is nothing like going to a game.”
9. Who will step up to replace Chad Bumphis in the Mississippi State receiving corp? Mississippi State released its Egg Bowl uniforms Thursday.
10. Who’s going to fill the void at Missouri left by the departure of defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson?
12, AJ McCarron’s father tells the story of what the quarterback told him after getting to play the last minute of the Auburn game back in 2010. ”Dad, that was the best damn 51 seconds of my life.’
13. Alabama will wear “something on the helmet” to honor the late Mal Moore.
14. CBSSports.com new series - “Chasing The Devil” will focus on coaches trying to unseat Nick Saban.
15. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn on quarterback Nick Marshall: “He’s extremely tough on himself, which is usually a really good sign.”
16. Last time Tennessee had a new coach, it was Year Zero. This isn’t Year Zero.
17. LSU has usually a veteran at middle linebacker. Not this year – “the ‘Help wanted’ sign was hung out last spring…”
18. In this list of ten impact freshmen in college football, five are from the SEC. No. 1 on the list? Auburn defensive end Carl Lawson.
19. Missouri center Evan Boehm had a boot on his left foot Thursday. ”It’s just precautionary.”
20. Alabama still tweaking its offensive line. Arie Kouandjio moving back to left guard.
21. Auburn’s Justin Garrett returned to practice Thursday - recovering from a sprained foot. Expect to see defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson in the booth and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on the sidelines this fall.
22. Auburn quarterback-turned-safety Kiehl Frazier is competing for a spot on the two-deep depth chart.
23. Freshman wide receiver Ryan Timmons is battling for playing time at Kentucky.
24. Tackle Kolton Houston is one of eight Georgia offensive lineman who could see playing time against Clemson.
26. After tearing his ACL twice, Florida linebacker Ronald Powell was inspired by Adrian Peterson. Will Muschamp confirms running back Matt Jones and lineman Jon Halpaio won’t play against Toledo.
27. Barry Brunetti is the “solid” No. 2 quarterback at Ole Miss.
28. Incoming McDonald’s All-American freshman Chris Walker not enrolled at Florida. Reportedly still working on NCAA requirements.
29. Lot of talk about an undefeated season at Kentucky. “I think that 40-0 is going to be much more difficult to achieve that Big Blue Nation realizes.”
31. What about Kentucky and Louisville playing football AND basketball on the same weekend?
32. Basketball court at LSU gets a makeover.
33. A painful flashback for Missouri fans. Fifth-down game against Colorado called “ Biggest Fail in College Football History.”
34. Notre Dame has its eyes on SEC country. Coach Brian Kelly: ”If there’s a kid in Louisiana who fits the Notre Dame profile, we better know about them and have a shot at them.”
35. Concussion lawsuit against NCAA could be headed for a settlement.
36. ESPN pulls out of investigative project with “Frontline” about concussions. Pressure from NFL thought to be the reason why.
37. ESPN releases Jadeveon Clowney “The Freak” video.
|Post Comments »||Comments (15)|