October 1st, 2013 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Bryant Denny Stadium, Gators, Georgia, Kevin Scarbinsky, LSU, Nick Saban, Ole Miss, Practice Injury Reports, SEC, Tyler Siskey
1. What is it about James Franklin and Southern Cal? “I wonder if Franklin will remain a candidate if he’s 0-6 in the SEC in a month?”
2. Vanderbilt coach asked about the speculation Monday. “I mean, for once I’d like to sit in this press conference and talk about either the game before or the game we’re playing this week.”
3. Missouri lost to Vanderbilt last year 19-15. Tigers want revenge: “I’d be lying if I said that feeling wasn’t there, because it is.”
4. Missouri is the first team to have two players ejected under beefed-up targeting rule.
5. Georgia safety Tray Matthews says he was warned by referees during the LSU game to be mindful of the new rule.
6. Main issue with the Georgia defense is the secondary - “against LSU, there was often mass confusion in Georgia’s secondary.”
7. Similar story at LSU. Les Miles: “Well, certainly we can’t have blown coverages.”
9. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema has only lost more than two straight just once in his career. He’ll need a victory over Florida to prevent it from happening again.
10. Matt Hayes on Florida: “Clearly has the SEC’s — and probably the nation’s — best defense.”
11. It’s a story of good friends and similar backgrounds when Gus Malzahn and Auburn face Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss Saturday.
12. Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on the message to his team: “The biggest thing we’re preaching to them…is the urgency.”
13. Jackie Sherrill on Texas A&M’s defense: “Lacking depth and experienced players needed, especially up front.”
14. Kevin Scarbinsky on Alabama playing Georgia State: “The best program in college football has no business playing what is quite possibly the worst team in the sport.”
15. Nick Saban on associate director for player personnel Tyler Siskey’s role in the Ole Miss game: “He wasn’t on the headset, didn’t talk to anybody during the game.” The MrSEC view? Much ado about something that goes on every week.
16. With the 13th worst rushing defense, Kentucky will have its hands full with the South Carolina running game.
17. Mississippi State is in the midst of a stretch of five straight games of 6 p.m. or later kickoffs.
19. Nick Saban on giving players an extra day’s rest: “Two days rest does 10 times more good than one. It doesn’t do two times more good, it does 10 times more good.”
20. Ole Miss freshman Robert Nkemdiche has a broken finger and wide receiver Donte Moncrief has a sprained shoulder – neither one expected to miss any time.
22. Tennessee guard Jordan McRae added nearly 15 pounds of muscle over the summer.“I can feel that I’ve gotten bigger and stronger.”
23. Kentucky coach John Calipari likes his team. “I went home singing to myself.”
24. Vanderbilt opens practice today with a revamped roster. Four underclassmen left the program for various reasons.
25. Alabama returns five of the top seven scorers return from last year’s NIT quarterfinal team.
26. Could the Navy-Air Force game be a victim of the federal shutdown?
27. From phenom to flop – the coaching career of Lane Kiffin.
28. “Karma Is A Butch”
— Erik Ainge (@ErikAinge3) October 1, 2013
|Post Comments »||No Comments|