September 6th, 2013 12:00 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Arkansas State, Georgia, Johnny Manziel, Josh Harvey Clemons, NCAA, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady
1. Kentucky has a new starting quarterback this week against Miami of Ohio. Max Smith replacing Jalen Whitlow.
2. What do teammates think of Georgia safety Josh Harvey-Clemons, who’ll make his 2013 debut Saturday? ”Josh may be the most physical defensive back we have.”
3. “I don’t know that Georgia would have beaten Clemson with Harvey-Clemons, but it’s not a crazy thought.”
4. Is South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw the key to the game? “His legs were the difference (last year)…and if Georgia lets him do that again, it will lose again.”
5. When Florida plays Miami Saturday, it will be an emotional homecoming for Gators wide receiver and Miami native Quinton Dunbar.
6. Matt Hayes on the sellout in Miami: “Florida only received 12,500 tickets, which means more than 60,000 Canes fans might just make Sun Life feel like the Old Lady Orange Bowl of years past. ”
7. Home-opener for LSU this weekend against UAB. Quarterback Zach Mettenberger: “It’s huge; I love playing in that stadium, love being in that environment.”
8. Arkansas fullback Kiero Small logged about 50 snaps last week - most in his Razorbacks career.
9. How many times has Ole Miss running back Jeff Scott watched the replay of his 75-yard touchdown run against Vanderbilt?“Probably close to 100 times, maybe.”
10. South Carolina sophomore safety T.J. Gurley is a Georgia native and will get the start against his home-state team Saturday.
11. New England quarterback Tom Brady’s message to Johnny Manziel? “So when you look across the ball you have respect for those guys, and you treat them with respect because football’s a physical game.”
12. Alabama is off this week – work has started on next week’s Texas A&M game.
13. Five true freshmen saw action for Auburn last week – even more could play against Arkansas State.
14. Alabama writer picks Arkansas State to beat the Tigers.
15. Missouri opens the season with four straight non-conference games. “Missouri’s schedule is perfect for a team looking to build momentum and create an identity.”
16. Austin Peay game for Vanderbilt part of “what the numbers indicate is by far the weakest nonconference schedule in the SEC.”
SEC Player Injuries/Suspensions
17. Alabama redshirt freshman defensive end Dalvin Tomlinson will have surgery on his knee after injuring it in practice.
18. Who will replace the injured Devrin Young in the return game for Tennessee? ”We’ve got a number of guys that we feel very confident with…”
19. Dak Prescott will get the start at quarterback in place of the injured Tyler Russell for Mississippi State but the offensive scheme remains the same.
20. Arkansas safety Rohan Gaines will be a game-time decision.
21. What’s the status of LSU running back Jeremy Hill? “Looming return…which could very well happen this week…”
22. Jeremy Fowler on an all-violation of team rules squad: “Florida and A&M had a combined 11 players suspended last week..”
23. NCAA subcommittee discussing the idea of an early signing period in college football. Growing trend of early commitments.
25. Should it really be up to the NCAA to decide on hardship waivers?
26. After Notre Dame got blown out by Alabama, coach Brian Kelly turned to New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick for advice.
27. 80-year former coach Don James hospitalized.
28. Vanderbilt releases their full schedule for 2013-2014.
29. Missouri freshman forward Jonathan Williams showed up to campus weighing less than 200 pounds. He’s now up to 218.
30. Antonio Barton is a better fit in Cuonzo Martin’s system at Tennessee than former point-guard Trae Golden.
31. Following his seven-touchdown performance, Peyton Manning has a future – as a sports broadcaster. ”I would think all the networks would be tripping over each other if Peyton Manning wanted to do this.”
32. Is that Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin imitating his quarterback?
— Douglas Chipponeri (@dougigem) September 6, 2013
|Post Comments »||No Comments|