1. Did Missouri coach Gary Pinkel tip his hand regarding the Tigers’ quarterback race? Three players from each team will attend SEC Media Days next week, including James Franklin from Mizzou. Here’s a complete list of players scheduled to attend.
2. Could Pinkel’s Tigers start the season 5-0?
3. Some allegations emerging in the Vanderbilt sex-crimes case that led to the dismissal of four players.
4. Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel: “I’m still just a 20 year old kid at the end of the day.” Does Manziel’s talents translate to the NFL? Kliff Kingsbury: “I think it all translates.”
5. With Aaron Murray and Todd Gurley, expect good things from the Georgia offense. With Georgia kicker Marshall Morgan facing a possible suspension, Seth Emerson says the Bulldogs should just go for it.
6. Manziel, Murray, Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace and Mississippi State’s Tyler Russell will be at the Manning Passing Academy.
7. Does South Carolina have one quarterback or two? That’s one of several themes for the Gamecocks 2013 season.
8. A 14-0 season for Alabama and a 5-7 campaign for LSU? That’s what an EA Sports simulation of the season delivered. MrSEC has a different take on the 2013 season – see our fearless predictions here.
9. One take on Arkansas defensive end Chris Smith: “He’s the biggest playmaker on a defensive line that should be fairly formidable in 2013.”
10. Ole Miss redshirt sophomore guard Justin Bell was “a standout in the spring, playing his way into the conversation for this fall.”
11. Vanderbilt was already strong at wide receiver and is about to get stronger with five receivers in the last recruiting class.
12. Fortunes have changed at wide receiver for Florida. Gators haven’t had a wideout taken in the NFL draft for three straight years – longest drought since the early 1980′s.
13. David Climer on Tennessee’s defense: “UT is not as devoid of defensive talent as it seemed last season. The Vols were just poorly coached.”
14. Tennessee self-reports some secondary NCAA rules violations.
15. Where it all began for Auburn coach Gus Malzahn – defensive coordinator at a high school in Hughes, Arkansas.
16. $75 million renovation of Davis Wade Stadium at Mississippi State won’t be officially done until next year but fans will notice plenty of changes this fall.
17. Sitting out last season after transferring from Virginia, KT Harrell is ready to take a leadership role at Auburn.
18. Missouri knows its pairings for the Las Vegas Invitational. Will play Northwestern on Thanksgiving night.
19. Dana O’Neil on realignment’s impact on college basketball: “Anything that sounds the death knell on storied rivalries such as Kansas-Missouri and Georgetown-Syracuse can’t claim to be perfect.”
20. The architect and the builder have been hired to renovate Rupp Arena in Lexington.
21. ESPN’s “College Football Live” will be at SEC Media Days. Crew will include Paul Finebaum.
22. “ESPN’s ratings are trending downward at a steep enough rate to take notice.”
23. “Twelve and a half percent of Football Bowl Subdivision head coaches in 2012 were African-American…”
24. Ed O’ Bannon’s attorneys want assurances that the NCAA won’t retaliate against any current athlete who joins the lawsuit.
25. Can this story get more bizarre? Girlfriend of the guy who broke into the home of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops tries to break her boyfriend out of a juvenile detention center.
26. “Breasts have taken a metaphorical beating from the sports world ever since women first entered the arena.”
27. What you get when you mix Nick Saban with Rick Flair.