January 15th, 2014 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Charlie Strong, Georgia, Kevin Sumlin, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, SEC, Terry Joseph
1. One prediction on the impact of Georgia hiring defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt: ”Might as well go ahead, beat the rush and make Georgia your favorite to win the SEC East in 2014.”
2. Pruitt replaces Todd Grantham who left for Louisville. ”As a straight trade, it’s roughly comparable to swapping George McClellan for Ulysses S. Grant.” Pruitt was Georgia’s first and only choice.
3. Mississippi State offensive coordinator Les Koenning reportedly headed to Texas to join Charlie Strong’s staff.
4. How does Strong’s contract compare to the one at Texas A&M for Kevin Sumlin?
5. Mike Bianchi on why Strong didn’t get a particular SEC job: “He was told that he didn’t get the job because he was a black man who had a white wife…”
6. Stewart Mandel on Lane Kiffin to Alabama: “The massive disconnect between the public perception of Kiffin and the opinions of those that know him have long fascinated me.”
7. LSU reportedly offers its offensive line coach position to Virginia Tech offensive line coach Jeff Grimes.
8. Aggies make it official – announce the hiring of Terry Joseph as defensive backs coach.
9. Don’t expect the drug felony investigation involving Missouri receiver Dorial Green-Beckham to be resolved anytime soon.
10. Expect South Carolina’s linebackers to lead the defense in 2014.
11. Alabama freshman quarterback Luke Del Rio is leaving the Crimson Tide program. Son of Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio.
12. Former Florida quarterback Tyler Murphy headed to Boston College.
13. Here are the nine early enrollees already on campus at Florida.
14. Jadeveon Clowney to the Texans? Houston owner is a South Carolina grad.
16. Total SEC underclassmen departing approaching 30 – deadline to declare is today.
17. Alabama receiver DeAndrew White says he’ll return for his senior season.
18. Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron won’t play in the Senior Bowl – wants to focus on NFL draft.
19. Are college sports telecasts essentially” informercials under the guise of entertainment”?
20. The Sports Illustrated series detailing allegations at Oklahoma State has cost the school more than $100,000.
21. Auburn walk-on forward Alex Thompson is getting a scholarship.
22. Auburn at Tennessee. Can the Tigers get over the hump and break their 12-game SEC losing streak?
23. Mississippi State at Alabama. Bulldogs haven’t won a conference road game in over a year.
24. South Carolina at Texas A&M. Two teams going in different directions; South Carolina 0-2 to start SEC play – Texas A&M 2-0.
25. LSU at Ole Miss. Rebels regret missing out on Johnny O’Bryant. Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy: “We spent a lot of time and energy recruiting Johnny.”
26. Our earlier roundup of Tuesday night SEC hoops.
27. USA Today: The financial divide between the top five leagues in FBS and the other five leagues…is expected to grow dramatically with the SEC’s new TV money and the advent of the College Football Playoff, which begins next season.”
|Post Comments »||Comments (2)|