December 14th, 2011 08:02 AM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Tags: Colorado State, LSU, Southeastern Louisiana Saturday, Until Arkansas
The next couple of days, we’ll be taking some time off, meaning we’ll mainly have your headline fix each day and some breaking news items when they occur. Let’s call ‘em “mental health days.” We’ll be back to full speed next week.
That said, here are the day’s headlines:
1. Alabama offensive coordinator Jim McElwain — who will coach in the BCS title game — accepted the top job at Colorado State yesterday.
2. If the Crimson Tide beats LSU next month, Bama will pay out more than $1 million in bonuses to its coaches.
3. Auburn’s now in the market for two coordinators.
4. New Arkansas defensive coordinator Paul Haynes has a reputation for being a “grinder.”
5. Until Arkansas hosts Southeastern Louisiana Saturday, the hoops Hogs will have to continue to stew over recent losses to UConn and Oklahoma.
6. More awards and honors pour in at LSU.
7. LSU and Alabama will each get 17,000 tickets to the BCS Championship Game. (But you can bet they’ll snap up a good portion of the remaining 38,000 tickets, too.)
8. Uh-oh. Tyler Russell “tweaked” his knee in practice yesterday and could miss MSU’s next two bowl practice sessions. With Dylan Favre having transferred, depth at quarterback is becoming a major concern.
9. Mississippi State survived a late scare to top Florida Atlantic 75-68 last night.
10. New Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze took to Twitter — multiple times – to congratulate his old school and Gus Malzahn on their impending marriage.
11. Andy Kennedy likes the depth on this year’s Rebel team.
12. Ohio State’s Urban Meyer has raided Florida for a couple of support staff members.
13. Check the depth chart and you’ll see that Georgia should be an SEC title contender next year, too.
14. Kentucky linebacker Danny Trevathan is finally getting some postseason recognition.
15. South Carolina freshman defensive back Martay Mattox has left the team.
16. The Gamecock basketball squad needed a strong second half to avoid an upset at the hands of Presbyterian College last night.
17. Forward Kenny Hall says Tennessee faces a “must win” game tonight at College of Charleston (a school that beat UT in Knoxville last year).
18. Vanderbilt has already sold its initial allotment of 10,000 Liberty Bowl tickets. (Kudos, Dore fans.)
|Post Comments »||Comments (2)|