Here’s a rundown of LSU coach Les Miles’ comments:
* Miles said his team is “very ambitious” and has “a tremendous mindset.”
* Miles said Steve Kragthorpe has helped Jordan Jefferson. “He’s at the best position that he has been in… listening and taking coaching. He’s been well-coached, but there’s another way to say it and describe it and it might get out of his hand and it might give him the ability to anticipate the throw better. And it appears to me that that’s happening.”
* Miles mentioned Russell Shepard as being a good player at receiver… further nixing the rumors of a Shepard suspension.
* Miles delivering a long introductory comment as he does each year.
* Miles said Ryan Baker could provide good leadership from the linebacker spot. He believes he has guys who are ready to step up into leadership roles.
* Asked about the 25-man signing cap, Miles said: “As long as we’re all in the same position, I think that 25 is something that we can do and I don’t think there’s any real issue there.” Spoken like a man who’s recruiting in a state with a deep talent base. (But we still agree with him.)
* No one’s going toward the ESPN, Willie Lyles stuff.
* Miles said LSU has looked at tape of Oregon’s game with Auburn. Of course.
* Asked when he first knew of Willie Lyles, Miles said, “I can’t really comment. I’m kind of prohibited from commenting on Willie Lyles. The only thing I can tell you is that we look for film and video anywhere we can find it. … That’s really all I can say.”
* Asked about Zach Mettenberger, Miles suggested that Jarrett Lee is still the #2 quarterback. “We will play that guy that gives the greatest opportunity for victory and right now I believe that that’d be Jefferson.”
* Asked if the thinks the Lyles-ESPN report will pass muster with the NCAA, the coach said, “All I can tell you is we’re gonna cooperate fully and I can’t really make much more comment than that.”
* Miles isn’t worried about his team looking ahead to the Alabama game. “Well we play Oregon in the first game and we play six games on the road. … It’s very easy not to look ahead. I promise.”
* Asked about Shepard not being at Media Days, Miles said: “There were some things that Russell had to take care of back in Baton Rouge.”
* Miles on messageboard heat that Jefferson gets: “I don’t know that I’ve ever been to a messageboard. I’ve certainly instructed my team to avoid the internet. Those people that sign their names ‘Slick Willie’ don’t necessarily have legitimate opinions.” Funny that he used the name “Willie” right there.
* Asked about the amusing video featuring him playing basketball against his young kids, the coach said he defended his seven-year-old daughter “extremely well.” He added, “I didn’t think that this was gonna be as big a deal — kinda like eating grass — but really it was a family outing.”
* Miles was asked if Shepard’s absence has anything to do with a compliance issue involving off-campus housing. “I don’t know exactly the specifics of that. Only thing I can tell you is that this was an issue where there were some things he needed to handle in his personal life that needed an immediate resolution. That’s why he’s not with us.”