1. The Manning Passing Academy has a 120-man staff, including nine SEC quarterbacks. One of them is Tennessee quarterback Justin Worley.
2. Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell “has a chance to become the most decorated quarterback in school history in multiple passing categories.”
3. Defensive end Chris Jones gets clearance from the NCAA to enroll at Mississippi State.
4. Athlon profiles the SEC’s four new head coaches. ”It’s not easy in college football’s toughest neighborhood.”
5. Both coached in high school and at Arkansas State. The similar paths for Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze.
6. “Here’s one thing to love: Every coach on Malzahn’s staff, beginning with Malzahn himself, has experience in the SEC.”
7. Theme at Ole Miss for 2013? “More.” Rebels have “stacked the deck at the running back position.”
8. Texas Tech associate AD on the difference between media days for Big 12 and SEC: ”Big 12 players will look around room realizing they can beat/lose to any team in league. Not case in SEC.”
9. News flash - the South cares more about college football.
10. Another writer takes a shot at solving scheduling issues: “South Carolina in 2013 and 2015 will play as many regular season games against ACC teams (Clemson and North Carolina) as SEC West teams.”
11. Judging by Twitter buzz, four of the five top Heisman candidates are in the SEC.
12. Sign of the times. Arkansas puts Twitter handles on the cover of the media guide for the first time.
13. If you keeping score at home, here’s every SEC player arrested since July 1 of last year and where they are now.
14. Longtime Vanderbilt public address announcer Frank Crowell died this week at the age of 71.
15. If Marshall Henderson did indeed fail multiple drug tests, he faces a suspension of 25 percent of the team’s remaining games. That would put him out until early December (if he’s still there).
16. Two reasons why Andy Kennedy can’t kick Henderson off the team. Did the Rebels reach out to Chris Herren?
17. SEC hires for a new position - Associate Commissioner for Men’s Basketball. Mark Whitworth is first associate commissioner whose job title includes one specific sport. Two weeks ago, we made the case for an SEC basketball czar.
18. Chris Walker’s eligibility just one of several issues facing Florida coach Billy Donovan. Walker still working on eligibility requirements. And Rutgers transfer Eli Carter’s eligibility appeal is up in the air.
19. As Johnny Jones prepares to start his second year at LSU, program newcomers introduce themselves.
20. After sitting out season, Tulsa transfer Eric McLellan will have a big opportunity at Vanderbilt this year.
21. Rupp Arena renovation - “needs a facelift, not a wrecking ball.” Naming rights could be in play - “(business name) Rupp Arena.”
22. NCAA President Mark Emmert made just under $1.7 million in 2011.
23. NCAA says it won’t retaliate if a current player joins the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit.
24. Study: Automatic qualifying conference membership reduces postseason opportunities.
25. Whoops. Florida State ring says “SEC Champions.”
26. 20 years ago this week, NASCAR driver Davey Allison died.