May 4th, 2012 11:56 AM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Big Ten, Georgia, Rose Bowl, Sanford Stadium
Business meetings, radio shows, etc, etc… short day. My apologies. Here are today’s SEC headlines with an extra touch of bitterness and salt thrown in for spice (’cause I’m already behind due to the start of what looks to be “Expansionpalooza 2012″):
1. Don’t look now, but the presidents of the Big Ten and the Pac-12 are considering a non-seeded Plus-One postseason plan for college football – just take the two best teams after the bowls, they mean — in order to protect the sanctity of the Rose Bowl. (Personal take: It’s time for everyone else to tell the Pac-12 and the Big Ten to just go to hell. The fans of the Midwest and West can watch their beloved Rose Bowl every year. And everyone else in America can watch a four-team playoff to crown a national champion. After about two years on the outside looking in — with more and more recruits choosing to go elsewhere — the Big Ten, the Pac-12 and the Rose Bowl would all come begging for entry. It’s time to play hardball with these self-important twits. Like this.)
2. Florida may use two quarterbacks this fall (which only seems to work when you have two completely different styles of quarterback… one runner, one passer).
3. Aaron Murray tried to make a funny about Georgia wearing pink helmets this fall. Twitter blew up. Websites believed what they saw on Twitter leading to further blow-ups. Then UGA’s quarterback had to backtrack. (Gotta love that Twitter.)
4. This writer says retiring Georgia prez Michael Adams should rename Sanford Stadium after Vince Dooley… who he forced out as AD back in 2004. (I wouldn’t hold my breath.)
5. Kentucky and Indiana won’t play basketball this season for the first time since 1969-70 and both parties deserve a kick in the rear for being too dumb to compromise on the locations for future games. (Not stubborn, dumb.)
6. John Calipari is spinning the move as being good for his players. (Nonsense.)
8. Sales of season tickets are up for Vanderbilt football. (Another positive sign for the Commodores.)
9. Mississippi State’s offensive line will have to be ready to pass protect with a less mobile Tyler Russell behind center.
10. Texas A&M’s board of regents has given president R. Bowen Loftin the power to negotiate a buyout with AD Bill Byrne.
11. Aggie hoopster Kourtney Roberson has been granted a medical hardship waiver and will have three years of basketball left to play.
|Post Comments »||One Comment|