January 6th, 2012 10:17 AM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Tags: Michigan State, Orange Bowl, Ron West, SEC
Just a quick pre-weekend check of the scuttlebutt floating around regarding potential SEC coaching moves. We’ll start where things are in the most flux:
* Despite reports out of Miami last night, multiple reports from Tennessee have said former Hurricanes head coach Randy Shannon has not been hired as the Vols’ new defensive coordinator. In fact, some believe Shannon and Derek Dooley have not yet spoken. Normally we would say there’s too much smoke involved for their not to be some fire, but as we noted the other day, Shannon is coordinator equivalent of Jon Gruden. When a job comes open, he’s immediately listed on internet sites as Candidate #1.
Clemson’s Kevin Steele — despite his unit’s one horrible showing in the Orange Bowl — is believed to be a candidate as is Baylor’s Phil Bennett. They’re just bowl games, but Steele’s group allowed 70 points to West Virginia and Bennett’s crew gave up 56 to Washington. Bennett would give Tennessee some recruiting ties to the Lone Star State.
* Texas A&M reportedly interviewed Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi earlier this week. The Spartans — despite allowing 30 points to Georgia in the Outback Bowl — had a Top 5 defense in 2012.
Kevin Sumlin is also expected to offer a job to Stanford special teams coordinator Brian Polian.
* Defensive coordinator Chris Wilson — once rumored to be a candidate at A&M — will reportedly stay at Mississippi State.
* FootballScoop.com is reporting that “sources close to the program” have told them that South Carolina will interview Ron West for the job of linebackers coach and Randy Jordan for the job coaching the Gamecocks’ running backs.
Jordan has been on Mike Sherman’s staff at Texas A&M since 2008. Grabbing him might signal that Carolina wants to start making some inroads into the fertile Texas recruiting grounds. Ron West as the linebackers coach under Ron Zook at Illinois the past two years. But he also has ties inside the Palmetto State from the 10 seasons he spent on Clemson’s staff from 1999 through 2008.
* Scuttlebutt from Auburn suggests the Tigers might’ve turned their attention from defensive coordinator Mark Stoops — who’s getting a raise at Florida State — to Seminoles’ assistant head coach for defense and linebackers coach Greg Hudson. Prior to joining FSU’s staff, Hudson had been the defensive coordinator at East Carolina.
* Boise State offensive coordinator Brent Pease is rumored to be under consideration for the same position at Auburn, Alabama, and Florida. Pease has SEC experience as he served at Kentucky in 2001 and 2002.
Speaking of the Gators, Hays Carlyon of The Florida Times-Union reports that Jacksonville head coach and former UF quarterback Kerwin Bell is a candidate for the quarterbacks coach position on Will Muschamp’s staff and not the offensive coordinator slot.
|Post Comments »||Comments (4)|