October 30th, 2013 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Mississippi State, Nick Saban, Reporter Armen Keteyian, SEC
1. Is South Carolina now the favorite to win the SEC East? Quarterback Connor Shaw listed as questionable again for this weekend’s game against Mississippi State. “He’s had a bug that’s hard to shake.”
2. South Carolina’s victory over SEC East-leading Missouri gives Georgia hope. Coach Mark Richt: “I think everybody got a good little bit of juice from that.” Bulldogs expect Todd Gurley to play Saturday
3. Florida’s slim chances in the East race rest on the performance of its offensive line. Starting tackle D.J. Humphries has a sprained MCL - out two to four weeks.
4. South Carolina will be rooting for the Gators this weekend against Georgia.
5. Missouri’s deep backfield suddenly looks thin. Running back Henry Josey is questionable and Russell Hansbrough has a sprained toe.
6. Tigers will face another backup quarterback Saturday. Tennessee coach Butch Jones confirms Justin Worley is out with a thumb injury and true freshman Josh Dobbs will make his first career start. A running threat: “It helps us out a lot.”
7. Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen says the buck stops with him when it comes to calling plays. “A lot of those critical moments, there’s no finger pointing. I call the plays.”
8. No SEC quarterback has thrown more passes this year than Bo Wallace. But the Ole Miss QB has cut down his interceptions drastically.
9. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn responds to the game film controversy: “We’ll always operate with the utmost integrity in everything we do.” Arkansas coach Bret Bielema: ”The issue is being handled by the SEC…” Some background here.
10. If you polled Arkansas fans on what coach they want, ”Bielema might lose to Malzahn at the ballot box worse than he did to Nick Saban on the field.”
11. “There is a chance…that I missed my five-win prediction for Auburn this season.”
12. Arkansas offensive coordinator Jim Chaney on the Razorbacks offense: “We have not done our job. We’ve not held up our side of the bargain as far as scoring points.”
13. Reporter Armen Keteyian on his upcoming profile of Nick Saban for “60 Minutes”: “He’s just very interesting to watch…I like his sense of humor.”
14. ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit on this year’s Iron Bowl game: “Isn’t that the way Bear would want it — for Alabama to be undefeated and trying to win an SEC championship and Auburn’s in their way?”
15. LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger a second or third-round NFL draft pick?
16. Nashville paper wants records related to rape of Vanderbilt student. ”To date, neither the police, the district attorney or Vanderbilt officials have said whether (Austyn) Carta-Samuels was present.”
17. Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall listed as day-to-day. Teammates expect him to play against Arkansas.
18. Battle shaping up at right tackle for Auburn.
19. And at cornerback for Alabama.
20. Ole Miss linebacker Serderius Bryant suffered a concussion against Texas A&M. Says people have brought up the similarities between his hit and the one that paralyzed Chucky Mullins.
21. Looks like Georgia safety Josh Harvey-Clemons is back at full speed after suffering a foot injury against Vanderbilt. Wide receiver Chris Conley is likely out and safety Tray Matthews starting to get practice reps.
22. Was Bear Bryant too slow to integrate Alabama football?
23. Kentucky freshman walk-on E.J. Floreal dunks on Julius Randle in Tuesday night’s Blue-White scrimmage.
24. Randle had 21 points and eight rebounds. Guard James Young had 25 points.
25. Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin on whether this is his best team: “Oh yeah. That’s safe to say.”
26. Five people planning to plead guilty to charges in connection with the kidnapping of a 6-year old girl. Former Alabama basketball player Devonta Pollard has been charged in the case. He’s pleaded not guilty and his case will go to trial.
27. Schools that recruit the best and worst. “The Kentucky results are especially dramatic.”
28. Ohio State may be undefeated and likely to finish without a loss but not likely they have much of a shot at the national championship game.
29. Cover jinx? Quarterback Marcus Mariota and the Oregon Ducks get some love from Sports Illustrated. (Oregon is off this week – play Stanford on November 7)
30. Average ticket resale price for tonight’s World Series game in Boston is nearly $2,000. Two tickets sold Monday for $24,000.
|Post Comments »||One Comment|