June 6th, 2013 12:01 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Bear Bryant, Crimson Tide, LSU, Nick Saban, Randy Spetman, SEC, South Carolina, Steve Spurrier
1. Five players reportedly leaving Kentucky. Down to four scholarship receivers until incoming freshmen arrive. ”When you have a new coach taking over a 2-10 team, some bags are going to be packed.”
2. Tennessee running back Marlin Lane reinstated?
3.South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier 38 wins away from breaking Bear Bryant’s record for most conference victories by an SEC coach and drawing inspiration from the pope.
4. Recalling Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin’s first SEC Media Days appearance and his assessment of the SEC West: ”What’s my assessment? It’s a pretty damn hard league.”
5. Alabama an early six point favorite over Texas A&M, first time less than touchdown favorite since 2012 BCS championship game. Crimson Tide 11.5 favorite over LSU.
6. Is Mississippi State a trap game for LSU?
7. Nick Saban is not opposed to a duel-threat quarterback at Alabama: “You would like to always be able to recruit players that fit your system. But sometimes that’s not always possible.”
8. Alabama makes the honor roll for academic success. Saban: ”I think that speaks volumes for the commitment that we have to academics…”
9. Saban wants 10 BCS games: “So if everybody played 10 BCS games, we’d certainly play nine in the conference.” What about a national rival game for every SEC team?
10. A vision of an SEC regular-season kickoff game in Birmingham?
11. A chance to revive the Missouri-Illinois series in St. Louis?
12. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn on Jay Prosch: ”He has a chance to be one of the better H-backs we’ve ever had.”
13. Former Arkansas quarterback Mitch Mustain on his relationship with Malzahn: “My and Gus’s relationship is generally that of any former athlete and coach, especially ones who have shared times like we have.”
14. Dukes assistant coach Leon Wright joining Les Miles’ staff at LSU as a graduate assistant.
15. Former Missouri guard Michael Dixon is officially a Tiger, a Memphis Tiger.
16. Dixon on Missouri coach Frank Haith and assistant Tim Fuller: “They have been tremendously supportive of me. I love them for that and always have and always will.”
17. Florida will play Dixon’s new team in the Jimmie V classic in New York in December.
18. Frank Martin adding Perry Clark as an assistant coach at South Carolina.
19. Florida State looking for an athletic director. Randy Spetman has left the position.
20. Oklahoma State Mike Gundy facing a lawsuit that involves an Oklahoma t-shirt.
21. Outgoing North Carolina chancellor says it’s time for A.D.s to handle athletics.
22. 69 years ago today, Operation Overlord started. D-Day invasion led to Allies victory in Europe less than a year later. Ceremonies in France today.
23. President Reagan’s speech at the 40th anniversary: “These are the boys of Pointe du Hoc. These are the men who took the cliffs.”
|Post Comments »||Comments (15)|