December 9th, 2010 08:26 AM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Florida, Mississippi State
Tags: Jeremy Fowler, Petersburg Times12, UF, Urban Meyer
A few headlines for you this morning concerning Urban Meyer (and Dan Mullen… and Bobby Petrino):
The Gainesville Sun
1. Florida AD Jeremy Foley says he’s ready to work quickly and quietly to find Meyer’s replacement. The goals is to have a new coach by Christmas.
2. Meyer was a legend at Florida.
3. Pat Dooley says the ride in Gainesville was fun while it lasted.
4. The closest Meyer wants to come to coaching is as an assistant on his son’s little league team.
The Orlando Sentinel
1. The future is now uncertain for Meyer’s assistants. (Gator fans are likely worried sick over the fate of Steve Addazio.)
2. Meyer said, “I’m not sure we gave (Florida) our best this year.”
3. UF assistants must hold Florida’s recruiting class together.
4. Mike Bianchi says Meyer’s resignation is the best thing for the Gators.
5. Jeremy Fowler — the former reporter who Meyer muscled last spring — says the coach “was burned out last year.”
6. This writer says Bob Stoops should be Urban Meyer’s successor, not Mullen.
The Florida Times-Union
7. Family, not health, lead Meyer away from UF.
8. Gator boosters were expecting changes… just not this one.
9. Florida’s recruiting class is holding together for now.
10. Ahmad Black and Mike Pouncey support their coach’s decision.
11. Here’s yet another list of possible replacements for Meyer… headed by Mullen.
The St. Petersburg Times
12. John Romano says Meyer always did what he wanted, how he wanted, when he wanted… including yesterday’s resignation.
13. Here’s another candidate list.
The Miami Herald
14. Linda Robertson writes that Mullen never seemed to be fully himself this season.
15. Some folks thought Meyer might step down if UF had a bad 2010 season. And they did.
On Dan Mullen
16. MSU’s coach told The Jackson Clarion-Ledger yesterday afternoon that he’s still “absolutely” committed to State.
17. Mullen told The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that he was surprised by Meyer’s decision. Asked if he would be interested in the UF job, Mullen texted: “Happy at State.”
18. This writer says Florida can be picky, but if their choice is Mullen, State simply can’t match the offer.
19. Mullen and his assistants deserve nice raises in Starkville. The Meyer situation should give them even more leverage in their negotiations.
On Bobby Petrino
20. Several national reporters are tying Arkansas’ Petrino to the UF vacancy.
21. Florida would have to pay “a hefty buyout clause” to swipe Petrino.
22. But UF’s athletic director said he won’t “be scared off by contract buyouts.”
|Post Comments »||Comments (18)|