August 17th, 2013 12:25 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Eric Hyman, Georgia, Johnny Manziel, Kevin Sumlin Whenever, Ole Miss, Paris, Practice Reports, Riley Ferguson
1. Texas A&M A.D. Eric Hyman addresses Johnny Manziel status in email to donors: ”We are not in a position to speculate on a specific timeline.”
2. Kentucky coach Mark Stoops was not happy Friday: ”We got to have some more pride about what we do. We got to have some more leadership.”
3. Kentucky tight ends coach Vince Marrow on senior Anthony Kendrick: ”He should be a guy who can do something special out there.”
4. Freshman quarterback Riley Ferguson impresses coach Butch Jones. ”The individual who stepped up was Riley Ferguson.”
5. Does Florida have a game-breaking wide receiver? “I can name three receivers from Alabama and three receivers from Georgia off the top of my head that would be the No. 1 guy for Florida.”
6. And what about the receiver situation at LSU? “What LSU lacked last season was a stud No. 1 receiver…”
7. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel on the decision to name James Franklin the starting quarterback: “We probably over-talk personnel compared to most staffs, but that’s my background.”
8. South Carolina hasn’t played a ranked team to open the season since 1999.
9. Vanderbilt has 23 non-scholarship players this fall.
10. ESPN names nine SEC players to its all-freshmen team, including two each from Ole Miss and Florida.
11, Ole Miss wants to use running back Jeff Scott in its return game.
12, Florida expected to sell out four of six home games this year.
13, A sprained knee has kept Georgia safety Corey Moore out of practice since August 7. Coaches continue to rave about freshman linebacker Leonard Floyd. “He’s relentless.”
14, With the quarterback battle almost over at Auburn, there are other spots up for grabs, including defensive tackle and safety.
15, Tennessee open practice tonight at Neyland Stadium. Butch Jones: “(Fans) are going to see some elements of practice that they don’t normally get to see.”
16, Saturday’s open scrimmage at Texas A&M should help answer questions about the backup quarterback and the defensive scheme. Kevin Sumlin: “Whenever you have 31 new guys, you try to get them involved and see where they fit in.”
17. Second scrimmage of camp today at Alabama. Coach Nick Saban considers this one the most important.
18. Focus at Arkansas’ scrimmage – turnovers for the defense.
19. Florida had its final preseason scrimmage Friday, depth chart taking shape.
21. Alabama drops to 3-1 in its European tour. Crimson Tide finish up in Paris today.
22. Two North Carolina men arrested in connection with vandalism of Howard’s Rock at Clemson.
23. Wall Street Journal: In Defense Of Football
|Post Comments »||Comments (17)|