February 14th, 2014 12:00 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Gators, Michael Sam, NCAA
1. “The best defensive coaches have admitted defeat and asked for help, and sadly, the NCAA is riding to their rescue.”
2. Texas A&M Coach Kevin Sumlin: ”No way should the defense be able to dictate the pace of the game. That’s why it’s called ‘defense.’”
3. Florida offensive coordinator Kurt Roper; “I just wish coaches would be honest and stop using player safety as their only reason they want to slow down offenses.”
4. Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy: “The 10-second rule is like asking basketball to take away the shot clock – Boring!”
5. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema declines comment. Nick Saban unavailable Thursday. Neither man was on panel but did address the NCAA committee that proposed the rule change. Proposal was also a topic at a mid-January AFCA Convention.
6. Matt Hayes: ”So a new rule could prevent the offense from snapping in the first 11 seconds of a play. Do you really think that’s going to slow down offenses?”
7. National coordinator of officiating: “I think it’s fair to say there’s not really much hard data on this.”
8. “You could get a delay of game penalty for going too quickly in college football in 2014.”
9. FBS teams averaged 71.8 plays per game in 2013, compared to 70.5 in 1973.
10. Arkansas’ director of recruiting Chris Hauser is leaving. Fourth member of staff to leave since the end of the 2013 season.
11. Ole Miss defensive end Channing Ward pleads guilty to DUI charge. Will pay a fine and attend classes.
12. Is Ole Miss the biggest potential sleeper game on the Texas A&M schedule this fall?
13. Tennessee linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen on Butch Jones’s recruiting style: ”Butch does the best job in America with the communication and the constant mailing and constant direct messaging…”
14. Re-ranking the recruiting class of 2011.
SEC Media/Gay Athletes
15. Pat Forde on the Michael Sam story: “Young people today do not see it as salacious or sensational. They see it as personal and largely unremarkable.”
16. Michael Sam’s father claims he was “terribly misquoted” by the New York Times.
17. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney is pretty sure there were gay players at Alabama. How does he know? He was their teammate.
18. Marquee Saturday matchup: Florida vs. Kentucky. Gators start four senior – UK starts five freshmen.
19. John Calipari: ”For this game, I’m talking to our fans. The last eight minutes, no one sits down.”
20. Texas A&M freshman s Davonte Fitzgerald is out for the season. Suffered knee injury in first half of game against LSU Wednesday night.
21. Tough stretch for Mississippi State. Lost six games in a row – and 0-6 in SEC road play. Next two games are on the road.
22. Former Ole Miss player John Jerry linked to the Miami Dolphins bullying scandal. Some details in the 148-page report.
23. Johnny Manziel and the Houston Texans: “I want them to say absolutely, without a doubt, with 100 percent certainty, that I’m who they want.”
|Post Comments »||One Comment|