February 21st, 2014 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, ID, Mike Groh, NFL, Ole Miss Saturday, Steve Spurrier, Tom Brady
1. South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier calls proposal “Saban rule.” Tells USA Today - ”It’s ridiculous. Let’s let everybody keep playing the way they’ve been playing.”
2. Georgia coach Mark Richt: “I feel like if you can train offensive players to play five or six plays in a row, you can train defensive players to play that many plays in a row, too.”
3. Kevin Scarbinsky on comments by Arkansas coach Bret Bielema (earlier story here): “Bielema was wrong on so many levels… He actually made a case to ban the sport of football entirely.”
4. Mark Richt on the Josh Harvey-Clemons dismissal: “Guys understand that there are certain rules everybody needs to abide by and if they don’t they could possibly lose their privilege to play at Georgia.”
5. With the exception of offensive coordinator Mike Bobo, every Georgia coach will have some special teams responsibility.
6. That includes new inside linebackers coach Mike Ekeler who is fired up to be in Athens. “They’re gonna have to take me out of here at gunpoint.”
7. Arkansas has hired Clay Jennings from TCU to coach defensive backs.
8. Tennessee defensive lineman Danny O’Brien gets community service in exchange for having charges related to possessing a fake ID, resisting arrest and underage drinking dropped.
9. Alabama is suing former wide receivers coach Mike Groh for breaching his employment contract – claims he owes the school $57,000.
10. ESPN’s Chris Low takes a stab at the top-5 offensive linemen in the SEC heading into the 2014 season.
11. With Michael Sam and Kony Ealy off to the NFL, how does Missouri’s defensive line shape up for 2014?
12. A look back at Florida’s loaded 2007 recruiting class that included Cam Newton and here’s a review of Nick Saban’s first full signing class in 2008.
14. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock on Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy: “He hustles, plays hard, has some natural edge ability and, in today’s NFL, that all adds up to a first-round pick for me.” Mel Kiper: “Ealy is a guy, had he gone back, would have been a much higher pick…”
15. Likeliest first round picks from LSU are wide receivers Odell Beckham Jr and Jarvis Landry
16. One take on former Georgia running back Isaiah Crowell who’s entering the draft after his junior year at Alabama State – “extremely immature and has a history of off-field issues. Can be difficult to coach.”
17. With a win over Ole Miss Saturday, Florida will win its 19th straight and potentially vault to No. 1 in the polls.
18. Florida center Patric Young apologizes for calling Boston College “awful.”
19. Time to be optimistic or pessimistic on Auburn basketball? Tony Barbee has a chance at his first winning season.
Headline of the day
|Post Comments »||Comments (2)|