August 21st, 2013 01:15 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Carl Lawson, Fox Sports Live, Georgia It, Johnny Manziel, Marshall Henderson, North Carolina, Practice Reports, SEC
1. Georgia now has seven defensive backs on the injured list. Junior cornerback Damian Swann has a hip flexor and a groin strain.
2. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney on the opening game with Georgia: “It’ll be a game for the ages, opening at night, everybody excited for college football to kick off.”
3. North Carolina quarterback Bryn Renner on the opportunity against South Carolina and Jadeveon Clowney: “We’re looking forward to playing against a top team, and the best player in the country.”
4. Gamecocks sophomore running back Mike Davis will get the start against North Carolina. Backups Brandon Wilds and Shon Carson will also see action.Looking more and more like Bruce Ellington could miss the opener.
6. Booted from Auburn, safety Demetruce McNeal will transfer to West Alabama.
7. Is quarterback Jeff Driskel Florida’s top running threat at the moment?
9. Injury to Auburn defensive Dee Ford means newcomers Elijah Daniel and Carl Lawson will see immediate action.
10. Vanderbilt defensive backs Kenny Ladler and Javon Marshall combined for more tackles last year than any other SEC secondary tandem. Attorney enters not guilty plea for suspended wide receiver Chris Boyd.
11, Les Miles likes the linebacking corps at LSU: “They could be as talented as they’ve been here in a while.”
12, Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin on freshman wide receiver Ricky Seals-Jones: “He’s got real ability, he’s very athletic but he’s got to learn the nuances of the position.”
13. Nick Saban on freshman Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster. “He really has made a lot of progress. We actually are increasing his reps.”
14. Mississippi State punter Baker Swedenburg admits he’ll look up at the Jumbotron while he’s on the field. “I try not to but it happens every now and then.”
15, Former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer on the Vols new gray uniforms: ”If those uniforms help you recruit, those recruits might help you win. It’s that simple.”
16, In this list of the 20 best players in the SEC, Johnny Manziel is 1A and Jadeveon Clowney is 1B.
17. Test drive a truck and register for the chance to win a Johnny Manziel autographed football?
18. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn liked what he saw on the final day of preseason camp: “I told our offense at the end of the practice that it was the best rhythm that we’ve had since I’ve been back.”
19. LSU coach Les Miles on the Tigers final fall scrimmage of camp: “We’re sloppy, they need to get things right. If we do that we’ll have an opportunity to beat a lot of teams.”
20, Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper should see his workload increase this week, been bothered with a strained foot.
21. Florida walk-on running back Mark Herndon awarded full scholarship. Running back Matt Jones was at practice but didn’t practice Tuesday. Looks to be getting closer to returning but not expected ready for opener.
22. Missouri cornerback E.J. Gaines returns to the practice field. Had a strained patella tendon in his left knee.
23. Arkansas defensive coordinator Chris Ash on his unit: ”We’ve got to get more consistent. ”
24. Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy says guard Marshall Henderson has earned the right to be involved in basketball activities but “he will miss games, The extent of that is yet to be determined as we go through this process.”
26. CBS will carry six SEC games - four of them involving Kentucky.
27. Memphis transfer Antonio Barton has enrolled at Tennessee.
28. Which school will hire former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl next year? “Rest assured, some AD somewhere will be anxious to bring (Pearl) to his campus.”
29. Defense attorney says he’ll fight extradition proceedings in the Vanderbilt rape case.
30. Despite a new state law, guns are banned everywhere on campus at Alabama, including games.
31. Add the Bahamas and Boca Raton to the list of bowl game destinations. At least 38 bowl games starting in 2014.
32. Matt Hayes: ”Even on its farewell tour, the BCS can’t get a break.”
33. The commissioner of Conference USA supports the idea of stipends for college-athletes.
34. ESPN executive on the SEC Network: “In order to make this thing go…we’re going to have to schedule meaningful games that will resonate with fan bases.”
35. An early review of how Fox Sports Live compares to ESPN’s Sportscenter
36. AL.com apologizes for headline that mentioned football can be confusing, “especially for women.”
|Post Comments »||Comments (5)|