SEC East Football
1. It starts tonight. South Carolina – Vanderbilt in Nashville and SEC officials will be sporting a new look.
2. Vandy’s offense vs. the South Carolina defense has been a bad matchup for the Commodores the past three years.
3. Is Jordan Rodgers the key to a potential Vanderbilt victory?
4. North Carolina State Tom O’Brien remembers recruiting current Tennessee player Daniel McCullers: “”He wanted to play defense. He kind of told us to go take a hike.”
5. A matchup to watch Friday night: Vols wide receiver Justin Hunter vs. All-American cornerback David Amerson.
6. Will the remnants of Hurricane Isaac have an impact on the Kentucky-Louisville game? Joker Phillips: “We’ll practice a little bit on Friday with some wet balls and some wet gloves.”
7. Florida cornerback Jaylen Watkins on the new-look Gators offense under Brent Pease: “We’ve never seen anything like it.”
8. What would constitute a good year for Florida? “As much as UF’s royally spoiled fans don’t want to hear it, eight victories would actually show progress and constitute a successful season for the Gators in 2012.”
9. When a gambling website puts the over/under line on average points allowed at 11, you know your defense is expected to be good. But exactly how good will Georgia’s defense be this year?
10. A redshirt junior, Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason sits and waits.
11. Mizzou coach Gary Pinkel on the status of injured defensive backs Kip Edwards and Braylon Webb: “I think they’ll both play.”
SEC West Football
12. Texas A&M offered Kyle Field to Louisiana Tech but the home team said no thanks. Aggies AD Eric Hyman: “If we had a hurricane here, would we go play in Shreveport? Probably not.”
13. Even though it’s no longer the season opener, Texas A&M starting linebacker Steven Jenkins and backup safety Howard Matthews will serve their suspensions against Louisiana Tech.
14. With Arkansas and Texas A&M set to resume their series at Cowboys Stadium, what is the fate of Razorback home games in Little Rock?
15. Auburn running backs coach Curtis Luper: “It will be running back by committee, I would say, until someone emerges as the leader of that group.”
16. Some basic advice for first-time starting quarterback Kiehl Frazier: “Get the snap, obviously,” said Auburn offensive coordinator Scott Loeffler. “That’s the most important thing.”
17. Quarterback decision announcement coming today at Ole Miss. Running back Jeff Scott may not play at all Saturday.
18. LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger is impressed with wide receiver James Wright: “We need all the receivers to be more like James, being a great blocker and running perfect routes.”
19. Is Mettenberger the first decent quarterback at LSU since Matt Flynn in 2007?
20. Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron on Michigan: “I know what they like to do in certain situations. I know how they’re going to play a lot of things.”
21. What does football do for the state? “It keeps people in Alabama sane.”
22. Mississippi State cornerback Johnthan Banks is a preseason All-American. What about his counterpart, Darius Slay? “He can be really good…”
23. John Adams: “One thing that has become increasingly clear in the SEC’s six-year string of national championships: with the exception of great quarterbacks, the best teams in this league can replace their best players.”
24. Ron Higgins: “At least three SEC coaches have agreed with me when I’ve said that football players are targets because the rest of the student body thinks they are privileged. “
25. “Usain Bolt with the wind at his back couldn’t get us to this season fast enough.”
26. Ranking this weekend’s SEC games. Week 1 predictions. Storylines and predictions.
27. The best pass-rushers in the SEC.
28. SEC teams and their season-opening winning streaks.
29. This SEC power poll puts LSU on top.
30. Brandon Warren has played at Florida State and Tennessee. He’s now at North Alabama.
31. A cloudy football forecast in the Sunshine State?
32. Mizzou’s full basketball schedule released.
33. Kentucky’s self-reported secondary violations.
34. “Paterno” will debut at No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list.
35. Business Week profile of ESPN: Everywhere Sports Profit Network
36. The night an Alabama reporter pitched his tent at “The Big House.”