Johnny Manziel/Autographs & Merchandise
1. Why was coach Kevin Sumlin kept out of the loop regarding a possible NCAA inquiry into Johnny Manziel?
2. So is there an active NCAA investigation into Manziel or not?
3. The Johnny Manziel “what-if” game – why would he need the money? “He doesn’t, but if the allegations are true, it’s yet another way in which the Mercedes-Benz-steering Manziel doesn’t always conform to his supposedly refined country club roots.”
4. Earl Campbell’s advice to Manziel: “The Heisman Trophy is bigger than you, Johnny.”
5. Alabama coach Nick Saban on player autographs: ”I trust our players to do the right thing.”
6. Jay Bilas pointed out the hypocrisy of how the NCAA sells player jerseys and memorabilia. Now president Mark Emmert says the NCAA is “exiting that business.”
7. Matt Hayes: “If there’s anything worse than a clueless, rudderless NCAA, it’s a spineless, stand-for-nothing, bow-to-anything NCAA.”
8. Florida freshman linebacker Matt Rolin re-tore his ACL and is out for the season. Linebacker Antonio Morrison is back in camp but not fully reinstated. Quarterback Jeff Driskel returned to practice Thursday night.
9. Les Miles responds to TCU coach Gary Patterson’s apparent comments regarding his treatment of running back Jeremy Hill: “I don’t worry about that. I coach my team.”
10. But was Patterson really talking about Hill?“I know what I said. I didn’t mention Jeremy Hill. I didn’t mention Les Miles.”
11. With senior defensive back Naz Oliver leaving Tennesse, Vols have just three remaining signees from class of 2009. Walk-on Brett Dockery leaves the team.
12. Is Tennessee football due for some good luck?
13. This is the first time a quarterback battle at Missouri has extended into the fall since Brad Smith’s freshman year in 2002.
14. New Mizzou offensive coordinator Josh Henson’s goal: Snap the ball before the 25-second play clock hits 15.
15. Could Georgia’s freshmen defensive backs be in the lineup against Clemson?
16. Having coached at North Carolina last year, South Carolina defensive line coach Deke Adams is familiar with the Gamecocks’ first opponent.
17. Texas A&M junior Cedric Ogbuehi sees an NFL advantage in moving from guard to tackle: “The money is a good difference.”
18. Nick Saban has questions about the new targeting rule. “Running back running the ball up the middle, he’s not unprotected. Is that correct?”
19. Ole Miss offensive linemen Justin Bell and Aaron Morris were high school teammates.
20. Who will back up quartertback Austyn Carta-Samuels at Vanderbilt?
21. Sports Illustrated’s preseason All-American team features plenty of familiar SEC names.
22. Sportswriter Will Leitch has decided to move to Athens. “Georgia football is a passion here I can’t possibly understand.”
23. Georgia freshman safety Tray Matthews sitting out Friday’s practice – still bothered by a shoulder sprain.
24. Weather permitting, fans will get their first look at Kentucky’s team tonight.
25. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema opens the Razorbacks Saturday scrimmage to the media and public.
26. Steve Spurrier not happy about South Carolina’s Thursday night efforts: “Pretty sorry practice tonight, it really was.” At least Spurrier was comfortable yesterday – no shoes, no shirt, no problem.
27. Mississippi State wide receivers take a step back in Thursday’s scrimmage. Dan Mullen: “A bunch of false starts, some silly penalties, a bunch of dropped passes, missed assignments, that type of stuff.”
28. Ole Miss defensive end C.J. Johnson took part in drills Thursday. He’s recovering from a broken leg.
29. Alabama starts a five-game, ten-day tour of Europe with a game on Saturday in Amsterdam.
30. Vanderbilt departs on its four-game, ten-day trip on Saturday.