January 6th, 2011 03:33 PM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Auburn
Tags: Dan Patrick, Jim Dunaway, Lakers Suns, Thanks Barkley
The website SportsByBrooks.com has to be the least popular site on the internet for Auburn fans. Day after day, week after week, if there’s been a controversy or rumor surrounding the AU football team, SportsByBrooks has discussed it.
Now they’re following up on a Twitter story — ugh — that spread like wildfire last night. The details:
* Several Auburn and Oregon football players were at the Lakers-Suns NBA game in Phoenix last night. Cam Newton’s seat was in the lower bowl, while most other players sat in the upper deck.
* Jim Dunaway — a Birmingham television and radio personality — was in attendance and tweeted during the game:
“Hanging at Lakers-Suns… Pugh and most Auburn players in upper deck… Cam in lower bowl. Thanks Barkley for the tix.”
* You can guess what happened next. All the people who live on Twitter — because who doesn’t want to know what Jim Dunaway is doing at all hours of the day? — jumped on the tweet and figured he was thanking Barkley for getting Newton his lower bowl ticket. And that would be an NCAA violation, right? Right?
* When asked about the Twitterversy by Dan Patrick today, Barkley said, “Tell those people who are writing this to kiss my ass. I did not get him those tickets. But if he wanted tickets I would’ve gotten them for him.”
* Dunaway has since tweeted the following explanation:
“Not that anyone asked, but I was thanking Barkley for getting me and my friends into the game, not Cam.”
Lessons to be learned from all of this:
1. The sooner Newton is out of the Southeastern Conference the better. Auburn fans don’t want to hear it — but much of the controversy surrounding this young man comes from his and his father’s own actions over the years. And Auburn haters don’t want to hear it, but some of the controversy surrounding this young man is utter hogwash and lies. Everyone — including Tiger fans — should pray that Newton is in the NFL next season. If not, God only knows what messes we’ll all be forced to deal with in 2011.
2. Only an idiot — and I’m real sorry to the millions of idiots out there — tweet whether or not they just brushed their teeth or had the best Mr. Pibb of their life or had an irregular bowel movement. How vain must someone to be to want to share all elements of their life… 140 characters at a time?
3. Only a real idiot’s idiot would actually spend more than 30 seconds a day reading Twitter. Do you really care what Jim Dunaway is doing or where he’s doing it? Does your life really depend on knowing who’s attending a Lakers-Suns game on a Wednesday night? Yeesh. And I thought I led a pointless existence.
4. Oh, yeah. You can follow MrSEC.com at Twitter by clicking right here. I mean, hey, if you’re going to waste your time on Twitter…
|Post Comments »||Comments (4)|