1. Something’s gotta give. Mississippi State’s LaDarius Perkins averages 103.4 yards per game – No. 1 in the SEC. The Alabama defense gives up 58.7 rushing yards per game -that’s No. 1 in the country.
2. Production from Mississippi State’s receiving corps is up almost 28% compared to the same time a year ago. Receivers coach Billy Brewster: “It’s all about, you know, I’ve gotta say it: hard-ass work.”
3. Brewster on quarterback Tyler Russell: “Extremely composed. I think that’s the No. 1 attribute a quarterback can have, is calmness under duress.”
4. The last team to pick off Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron? Mississippi State.
5. Kevin Scarbinsky: “It’s not easy to win a BCS championship, but Alabama has made it look easy so far, which means one thing. A hard time’s coming.”
6. Numbers tell the story of Auburn’s weak passing game: The Tigers rank 113th in the country in passing yards and 110th in pass efficiency.
7. Different week but same drill: No starting quarterback named yet for Auburn against Texas A&M.
8. Texas A&M is -11 in turnover margin the last three weeks.
9. The honors keep pouring in for LSU linebacker Kevin Minter.
10. Primarily a special teams player his first three years, Arkansas’ Terrell Williams is now the team’s starting middle linebacker.
11. Ole Miss cornerback Charles Sawyer and safety Trae Elston held out of practice Tuesday - expected to play Saturday.
12. Many Florida players have watched game film from the 2011 loss against Georgia. Cornerback Jaylen Watkins: ”I think a lot of people on the team do it because we had a lot of regrets last year,”
13. Andy Staples: Foley saved Muschamp from The Longhorn Network.
14. Jeff Schultz: “Georgia has only one edge over Florida. It’s at quarterback and nowhere else.”
15. Mark Bradley: “So far we’ve seen only snippets, but I’m convinced there’s a complete game in these Bulldogs.”
16. South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier on quarterback Connor Shaw: “But this (Tennessee) is his game. I told him the other day, ‘You are not coming out unless you get hurt.”
17. More Spurrier: ”We know we have to run the ball much better than what we’ve done.”
18. What’s a better coaching job - South Carolina or Tennessee?
19. What does Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter think of some mildly critical comments from coach Derek Dooley? “We are men, so I don’t take anything personal.”
20. Is Hunter a first-round NFL pick? Dooley: “(H)e has never performed to that standard in my opinion, and he knows that.”
21. An interesting road to Vanderbilt for center Joe Townsend - named Monday as the SEC offensive lineman of the week.
22. A season’s worth of twists and turns for Kentucky’s quarterbacks.
23. Kentucky offensive coordinator Randy Sanders on Missouri’s defense: “Their linebackers seems like, just reading their bios, seems like they’ve been there since the turn of the century almost.”
24. Mizzou offensive coordinator David Yost says execution is partially to blame for the Tigers offensive woes: “We’re making the other team’s defense way better than what they are.”
SEC Coaching News
25. For Chizik, Dooley and Phillips - all over but the firing? (Gary Pinkel listed as “Icon On The Edge”).
26. David Cutcliffe and Tennessee? “You can bet Peyton Manning would give his full support.”
27. Louisville’s Charlie Strong: “Can I just do my job and enjoy my work?”
28. Ole Miss or Mizzou - will either team make a bowl game this year?
29. Gator Bowl looking at its SEC possibilities. Likely six bowls in new playoff format - seventh had been considered.
30. LSU AD Joe Alleva will try again next spring to eliminate the permanent opponents on the SEC football schedule.
31. Power conference rankings - SEC on top.
32. So you can’t put $7,600 at the strip club on the university credit card?
33. Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson left off Davey O’Brien semifinals list – but three other SEC QBs made it.
34. Mike Leach bans Washington State players from using Twitter.
35. The 10 winningest programs in college football history – and their “stat-padding junk victories.”
36. Dilemma for Kentucky fans – watch the Blue-White game or All-Access Kentucky?
37. Top 50 preseason big men – Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel No. 3. “A shot-blocking freak.”
38. Most and least-liked players in the NFL.