1. Understanding the coded language college football coaches use on Twitter. ”The most creative recruiting announcements on Twitter have come from Butch Jones’ staff at Tennessee.”
2. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin has no issues with recruiting younger players. “If I see a 6-foot-6 man walking in the mall with his wife, and she’s 6-2 and she’s pregnant, I’ll go up and offer their unborn child.”
3. Who are the SEC’s top Heisman Trophy contenders? Athlon lists twenty-five names starting with Jadeveon Clowney.
4. Why Clowney’s teammate, sophomore free safety T.J. Gurley, is considered one of the top 12 most important Gamecock players heading into the fall.
5. Auburn assistant coach Rodney Garner returns to Athens. ”When you come in Sanford Stadium … I mean to Jordan-Hare Stadium,…You better be ready to suit it up.”
6. Freshma running back Peyton Barber becomes the 21st newcomer to arrive on the Auburn campus since December. Status of two Auburn signees still not clear.
7. With A.J. Jackson failing to qualify academically, expect more four wide receiver sets at Ole Miss.
8. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin wrote a letter in support of Johnny Manziel that helped overturn his suspension last summer.
9. Alabama opens its season against a Virginia Tech team that’s seen multiple changes on the offensive coaching staff.
10. In praise of Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron - “easily the most talented college quarterback Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban has worked with since he had JaMarcus Russell at LSU.”
11. “If there’s any stopping the SEC’s runaway train, this may be the year to do it.” Five SEC teams with the best chance to knock off Alabama.
12. .Since 2003, only twelve college teams have had at least six first-round picks in the NBA draft. Two of them are Florida and Kentucky.
13. Florida forward Erik Murphy projected as a second-round pick. “You’re talking about one of the best shooters in the country…”
14. Will Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel be the first player taken? He’s not a lock.
15. The question facing Missouri’s Phil Pressey: “Is Phil Pressey the guy that you see in the first 35 minutes of a Missouri game or is he the guy you see in the last five minutes?
16. After Thursday night’s NBA draft, it will be 12 straight years without a first-round pick for both Alabama and Auburn, longest stretches in the modern-era for both teams.
17. With BJ Young and Marshawn Powell off to the NBA draft, Arkansas has lost its top two scorers from last season.
18. Former West Virginia forward Keaton Miles is transferring to Arkansas. Will have two year of eligibility beginning in 2014-2015.
19. Mississippi State’s Wendell Lewis granted a fifth year of eligility.
20. Ole Miss releases its non-conference schedule.
21. Tennessee’s Darius Thompson on fellow freshman Robert Hubbs: “He’s probably the most athletic person on the team.”
22. Will the new block-charge rule help improve scoring?
23. Aaron Hernandez taken from his home in handcuffs this morning. Less than two hours later, the Patriots release him from the team.
24. NCAA penalties for Oregon don’t include a bowl ban.
25. College World Series comes to an end with UCLA beating Mississippi State but it was still the most successful season in Bulldogs history. MSU fans not happy with some comments on ESPN.
26. Matt Hayes lists the ACC’s top five games. Four of them are against SEC competition.
27. Shaquille O’Neal will go into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame Saturday.
28. Yankee Stadium - host to college football playoff games?
29. Meet the man who bets on Major League Soccer.