April 17th, 2013 08:03 PM║ Posted By: MrSEC.com ║ Permalink
Tags: Alabama, Algae Key, Algie Key, Auburn, Cuonzo Martin, Darius Thompson, Florida State, Joel Thomas, JUCO, Ricky Tarrant, Thaddeus Snodgrass, Tyreke Johnson
1. The spring signing period is underway. The nation’s No. 1 prospect has yet to make a decision. Huntington Prep’s Andrew Wiggins is said to be choosing from four schools - Florida State, Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky. Both of Wiggins’ parents attended Florida State. Here’s how Wiggins would fit in next year’s lineup at each of the four schools.
2. Kentucky is expecting three signed letter of intents within the next week. Even without Wiggins, that means Kentucky will have eight signees in its 2013 class.
3. Rutgers loss is Auburns’ gain. JUCO forward Chris Griffin was set to sign with Rutgers but when the Mike Rice scandal hit, he decommitted and signed a letter of intent with Auburn today. He’s one of three players the Tigers are expected to sign in the spring signing period.
4. Kenny Paul Geno, a 6-foot-6, 195-pound small forward from Booneville, Miss., sent his letter of intent to Georgia today. He’s planning on holding a news conference Thursday morning. ”By the time that he leaves, they’re gonna be very proud that they gave him an opportunity to play at Georgia,” Bonneville head coach Michael Smith said. “He’s gonna play and contribute. He’s gonna play (next year).”
5. Murfreesboro, Tennessee native Darius Thompson signed with Tennessee today, becoming coach Cuonzo Martin’s fourth member of the class of 2013. “At 6-4, he’s got good size for a point guard. He’s a proven scorer who can shoot it with range, and I’m confident that he’s going to be able to help us in a number of areas.”
6. Alabama coach Anthony Grant has two experienced guards coming in next year. Tulane transfer Ricky Tarrant and JUCO guard Algie Key signed with the Crimson Tide today. Tarrant will have to sit out a year. He was the Conference USA Freshman of the Year for Tulane two seasons ago.
8. Jacksonville, Florida prospect Tyreke Johnson is projected as a cornerback/wide receiver. He’s also just 13 years old and is reportedly on the verge of getting some big-time college offers. Here’s how his coach described him. ”He’s built and put together like a Greek God as a seventh grader.” Johnson’s brother De’Andre is a Florida State 2015 commitment.
9. Alabama picked up its fourth commitment of the 2014 class with the news that linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton picked the Crimson Tide. The four-star linebacker chose Alabama over Auburn and Tennessee. He’s planning to graduate in December and enroll at Alabama in January.
10. Auburn’s first defensive commitment in the class of 2014 is linebacker Deshaun Davis. He chose Auburn over 10 other schools, including LSU, Florida State and Tennessee.
11. Thaddeus Snodgrass is the highest ranked wide receiver recruit ever to commit to Kentucky. The Ohio receiver says he’s working on bringing additional recruits to the Wildcats. ”There will be a couple more commitments in a couple of days or maybe a week.”
12. Four-star running back Mike Horton from Ohio is on Kentucky’s radar. He’s expected to make his college choice this weekend.
13. Arkansas running backs coach Joel Thomas will have recruiting responsibilities in the Dallas, Texas area. ”I’ll also have Arlington, Mansfield, Irving and I’ll work my way out to east Texas to Tyler and Longview,”
|Post Comments »||Comments (11)|