1. Texas A&M signed quarterback Kohl Stewart in its last class but he may never make it to College Station. That’s because he’s also quite the pitching prospect and has been invited to New York for this year’s Major League Baseball draft. Just how good a pitching prospect is he? Good enough to be ranked the 8th best overall prospect by one MLB analyst.
2. Georgia has as many 13 players that could be selected in this year’s NFL draft – and that’s good for recruiting, says coach Mark Richt. ”I haven’t recruited many guys that didn’t think or weren’t at least dreaming about the NFL or hoping to be or expecting to be (drafted).”
3. Charlotte, North Carolina’s Jeb Blazevich is ranked as a top 10 tight end in the country. He’s heading to Georgia to play for Mark Richt next year. Blazevich committed to the Bulldogs Tuesday. “I love what they’re doing there and they’re having a lot of success.” He’s Georgia’s fourth commitment of the 2014 class.
4. Tennessee is stocking up on tight ends. Barring attrition, the Vols could have seven tight ends on their 2014 roster. Ethan Wolf and Daniel Helm are tight end commitments for this next year’s class on the heels of Tennessee adding two tight ends in its 2013 class.
5. Alabama’s fifth commitment of its 2014 class is Opelika cornerback Stephen Roberts. The four-star defensive back committed after defensive coordinator Kirby Smart paid a visit, even though he grew up an Auburn fan. ”I have always rooted for Auburn as a fan but when it comes time to making the decision about what’s best for me as a player going forward, you can’t think about those things.”
6. Kentucky landed four-star running back Mikel Horton over the weekend. Horton, from the Cincinnati area, chose the Wildcats over Florida State and Vanderbilt. New Kentucky coach Mark Stoops has made recruiting Ohio a priority.
7. Nine players from the state of Alabama have been nominated for the 2014 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.
8. 6-foot 8 power forward Demetrius Henry is headed to South Carolina to play for Frank Martin next season.. The Brandon, Florida senior chose the Gamecocks over Miami. Here’s a look at all the newcomers headed to South Carolina for the 2013-2014 season.