1. Nick Saban the most powerful coach in all of sports?
2. Been there. Done that. A low-key response at Alabama to the No. 1 ranking: “This was the first step in that journey, but we have a long way to go.”
3. Crimson Tide filling out its 2014 schedule.
4. LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger on media criticism: ”No one can criticize me as hard as I criticize myself.”
5. Facing West Virginia last year gives LSU confidence in facing Washington’s spread offense.
6. Washington prepares for LSU with a live, caged tiger.
7. It’s official. “Tyrann Mathieu is enrolled at LSU.”
8. Texas A&M prepares for Florida by watching Boise State? “Whatever most coordinators do at their last stop, they bring with them.”
9. Florida may be ranked, but the Aggies are the favorite on Saturday.
10. Mike Herndon on Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin, a postponed game and player suspensions: “Sumlin’s situation may be unique due to the postponement, but that doesn’t excuse him from taking the easy way out.”
11. Look for some changes in the Auburn defense this weekend. Also need some other deep threats beside Emory Blake.
12. Tigers center Reese Dismukes has had his suspension lifted - will play Saturday. So, too, will fullback Jay Prosch who’s mother died on Monday.
13. Struggles on the Ole Miss offensive line. Three sacks allowed and only 19 yards on seven third-down carries against Central Arkansas.
14. Looks like Rebels running back Jeff Scott will make his 2012 debut this week.
15. Arkansas twice attempted fourth-down conversions near mid-field in the opener but don’t expect that every week. John L. Smith: “Had that been Alabama and we’re ahead, yeah, we’re going to kick the ball.”
16. Smith on quarterback-turned-receiver Brandon Mitchell: “We expect him to be good.”
17. With a sack, multiple tackles and an interception for a touchdown on Saturday, Mississippi State’s Matthew Wells has a nose for the football.
18. Connor Shaw’s scrambling ability is a major asset for South Carolina, but with the Gamecocks QB already banged up, there’s plenty of risk involved.
19. Steve Spurrier on Shaw: “If he can’t pitch it around Thursday, he’s probably not going to play.”
20. Benching Shaw on Saturday “a blessing in disguise” for South Carolina?
21. Will they or won’t they play? Georgia is keeping suspensions secret. Defensive coordinator Todd Grantham: “I don’t know why you would tell anybody because it is not a league rule.”
22. Replays show Todd Gurley dropped the ball before crossing the goal line on one of his touchdowns Saturday.
23. “Old man football” a compliment? Mark Richt: “Being over 50, I’m getting AARP stuff in the mail. I thought it was a compliment, really.”
24. Joe Walljasper on Mizzou defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson: ”If you’re looking for a glib quote, he’s your man.”
25. Florida quarterback Jacoby Brissett a transfer candidate? Maybe not. Offensive coordinator Brent Pease: “Credit to him,” Pease said. “I just saw him in the hallway an hour ago and he’s studying film.”
26. “Florida has been called for at least nine penalties in six of the 14 games Muschamp has coached.”
27. Sluggish practice has Derek Dooley concerned: ”Most teams never reach their dreams because they overestimate the event and underestimate the process.”
28. Eight different defensive linemen saw action for Tennessee against North Carolina State.
29. Kentucky wide receivers started with a clean slate under new position coach Pat Washington: “I asked no questions about any of the receivers.”
30. Kentucky and Kent State - “brothers in ineptitude”?
31. Vanderbilt searches for a backup to running back to Zac Stacy.
32. The man accused in a shooting incident that killed two former Auburn players and wounded a current one has been indicted for capital murder.
33. The trial involving an Alabam fan’s actions following the BCS Championship game has been delayed.
34. Oklahoma State roommates get into a fight over football. One goes to the hospital.
35. “I still find it humorous that in this technological age an old-fashioned billboard can still stir things up with the best of ’em.”
36. This set of power rankings has Alabama No. 1 and LSU No. 2.
37. With the Knights traveling to Ohio State to face the Buckeyes and Urban Meyer, will Florida fans root for UCF this weekend?
38. Stanford’s tax return reveals former coach Jim Harbaugh’s salary in 2010.
39. Shrinking roster at Mississippi State. Backup guard Shaun Smith and forward Kristers Zeidaks booted from team for “violation of team rules.”
40. Rick Carter has officially joined Frank Haith’s staff at Mizzou.
41. An ugly situation at Texas Tech for former Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie. Accusations of mistreatment and a mass exodus. 15 players have left in 18 months.
42. Oregon State basketball coach Craig Robinson (and brother to Michelle Obama) at the Democratic National Convention. “Any seven-footers out there, gimme a call!”
43. As the NFL opens tonight – “Football is king right now. It’s hotter than any sport has ever been at any time in this country.”