1. The perks of athletic stardom: Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron is dating the reigning Miss Alabama (even though she’s an Auburn grad).
2. Star Tide center Barrett Jones hopes to be ready for the BCS title game, but his teammates have confidence in backup Ryan Kelly if Jones can’t go.
3. At least eight LSU players are “viable candidates to enter the NFL draft early.”
4. Need a reason to like Les Miles? Read this. “He’s an incredibly sincere man. You can tell the guy’s got a big heart. You can see why his players love him.”
5. Mississippi State safeties coach Tony Hughes was “shocked” to learn that cornerbacks coach Melvin Smith was leaving for Auburn.
6. MSU coaches aren’t allowing quarterback Tyler Russell to use a bum ankle as an excuse during bowl preps.
7. Senior tight end Jamal Mosley is academically ineligible for Ole Miss’ bowl game.
8. The Rebels will look to be even quicker in their up-tempo offense next season.
9. Florida’s success in 2012 came from staying the course.
10 The Gators say their Sugar Bowl trip will be one of business, not mischief.
11. Georgia hopes to break a two-game losing streak in postseason bowls when it faces Nebraska next week.
12. UGA’s 2011 “Dream Team” signing class is already going for win #22.
13. Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson is an unpredictable challenge for South Carolina.
14. For the Cocks, Outback Bowl workouts and activities began yesterday.
15. Derek Dooley “left a few building blocks behind” at Tennessee.
16. And new coach Butch Jones wasted no time rehiring Dooley’s running backs coach — ex-UT player Jay Graham.
17. Vanderbilt offensive coordinator John Donovan says he worked longer and harder in 2012 than he did in 2011.
18. Here are five storylines to watch during Vandy’s bowl tussle with NC State.
19. Anthony Hickey will serve another game’s suspension when LSU hosts Houston Baptist tonight. (I’m pretty sure “Houston Baptist” was a spin-off from CBS’ old “Chicago Hope” show.)
20. A trip to Hawaii turned out to be a missed opportunity for the Ole Miss basketball team.
21. Since arriving in Lexington, John Calipari has owned Kentucky’s rivals…
22. And there’s no bigger rivalry, no bigger game than UK-Louisville.
23. Missouri’s game with UCLA at Pauley Pavilion tonight brings back bad Tiger memories of the 1995 NCAA Tournament… and Tyus Edney.
24. Mizzou will be without key reserve Tony Criswell due to a broken finger.
25. SI.com’s Andy Staples says neither Johnny Manziel nor Jadeveon Clowney will win next year’s Heisman Trophy… but another SEC team will reach the BCS title game.
26. Alabama and Notre Dame claim 25 national titles between them in football. But, says who?
27. Southern Cal’s team looks to be taking on the classless personality of former SEC fave Lane Kiffin. (Oooh, boy, Vol fans used to light me up for calling Kiffin classless while he coached in Knoxville.)
28. Also, be sure to check out our Overtime page over the next few days as we review MrSEC.com’s most read stories of the year.