August 18th, 2013 12:45 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Eddie Lacy, Former Texas, Gus Malzahn, Practice Reports, South Carolina
1. “Nothing…to prepare (Vanderbilt coach James) Franklin for the current situation at Vanderbilt. He is in uncharted territory.”
2. Vandy wide receiver Chris Boyd posts bond - indicted for being accessory after the fact in dormitory rape.
3. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn booted a player from the team and named a starting quarterback Saturday. ”Gut reaction? He did the right thing in both cases.”
4. Ten things to know about Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall.
5. Houston Nutt on Malzahn and Auburn: “You’ve got to feel like with confidence, if they can get off on the right foot, they’ll win much more than people expect.”
6. Kentucky still doesn’t have a starting quarterback - at least no one they’re willing to name publicly. Four interceptions thrown in Saturday’s scrimmage.
7. Regardless of who starts at QB for Kentucky, Jalen Whitlow is going to play.
8. Former Texas running back Ricky Williams on Johnny Manziel: “If the media did their research on who this kid was, nobody would be surprised.”
9. Mike Bianchi on A&M and Manziel: “The question now is this: Was A&M inept or corrupt — and which is worse?”
10. Big shoes to fill. The three departing starters in Mississippi State’s defensive backfield accounted for 143 tackles and 10 interceptions last year.
11. Injuries and a suspension have limited the evaluation of Georgia’s secondary. Who will play and who will redshirt for the Bulldogs?
12. Going up against Alabama offensive lineman D.J. Fluker last year was a reality check for Missouri defensive end Shane Ray: “I was like ‘Wow, this guy is strong.’ My moves were not working.”
13. For the first time in the Gary Pinkel era, Mizzou may have no starters from the St. Louis area.
14. When Pat Dye was thinking about taking the Auburn job in 1981, he got a call from Bear Bryant: “He said, ‘You ain’t going to Auburn.’ I said, ‘I’m going to Auburn if they offer me the job. He said, ‘No, you’re going to get this job.’ ”
15. Jadeveon Clowney dominates South Carolina scrimmage. Steve Spurrier not happy about it. “I don’t think we blocked him one time. We acted like we were afraid to block him.”
16. South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw bruised his thumb Saturday.
17. Quarterbacks in focus at Tennessee’s Saturday night scrimmage.
18. Alabama coach Nick Saban is not happy with his offensive line.
19. Any happy coaches Saturday? Yes. Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss: “Really liked it today, really enjoyed it.”
20. Kentucky had its first full scrimmage Saturday. Coach Mark Stoops: “I’d say the defense had the upper hand.”
21. Les Miles likes what he sees from LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger: “He’s getting so many reps throwing the football that his accuracy is so much better, his instincts are sound.”
22. Backup quarterbacks impressive at Texas A&M’s open scrimmage.
23. Wide receiver Quinton Dunbar becoming a favorite target of Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel.
24. Could Tennessee basketball also be getting those “smokey” gray uniforms?
25. Alabama drops final game of European tour – finishes 3-2.
26. Former Alabama running back Eddie Lacy played the end of last season with a broken hand.
|Post Comments »||Comments (7)|