August 7th, 2013 12:29 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Floyd Raven Sr, Kevin Sumlin, Kony Ealy, Ole Miss, Practice Notes, Tyler Bass
1. Georgia kicker Marshall Morgan gets probation, community service and a fine for boating under the influence. Will he be suspended? Mark Richt: “If you ask me at halftime of the first game, I’ll let y’all know.”
2. With ESPN’s College Gameday coming to town, the spotlight on the Georgia-Clemson game just got a little brighter.
3. Why Johnny Manziel should just turn pro now: The NFL “might be able to keep him from playing professional football until May 2014, but they can’t keep him from being a pro…” Autograph dealer with Manziel items also has several from Jadeveon Clowney.
4. What South Carolina coaches want from Clowney: ”If he plays hard nine out of 10 snaps, I’ll be proud of him.”
5. What South Carolina coaches want from running back Brandon Wilds: ”Brandon needs to finish off his runs. I saw signs of progression with that during the spring. He was looking for contact instead of trying to avoid it.”
6. Does Steve Spurrier worry about football over the summer? “I’m not worried about the season during the summer. When I was in Ireland playing golf or when I was in the Bahamas?”
7. Kentucky is limiting the throws of quarterback Maxwell Smith - concerns about his shoulder. ”Right now it seems fine, but we’re being a little bit cautious with him.” Sophomore cornerback J.D. Harmon won’t be on the team this fall.
8. An argument for Tennessee to consider starting a freshman quarterback: ”It is telling that (Justin) Worley has not yet been named the Vols’ starter.”
9. Vanderbilt wants running back Wesley Tate to be more than just a short-yardage back. ”I have the speed to do it.” Commodores a sleeper team this fall?
10. Glenn Gilbeau on running back Jeremy Hill’s situation at LSU: “Call it Cajun Justice.”
11. Kevin Sumlin and staff are big fans of Texas A&M running back Ben Malena: “All he does is he does things right.”
12. Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen is focused on being a leader. “Once I was named the starter, that was kind of something I took upon myself to be the leader of the team, or one of the leaders of the team.”
13. New Missouri wide receiver coach Pat Washington likes what he sees from junior Darius White, who transferred from Texas. ”I’m very, very, very impressed with him.”
14. Mizzou quarterback Maty Mauk was a reluctant redshirt last year but admits he benefited from it: “I look back at it and think about how much I learned from just watching and learning…”
15. Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley on advice he received from former NFL great Ray Lewis: “He was telling me about just take care of your core, just take care of your body. God will pretty much do the rest.”
16. Ole Miss explores backup possibilities to running back Jeff Scott.
17. Auburn sets up temporary wires at Toomer’s Corner.
18. Want to know what opposing coaches really think about your favorite SEC team? Athlon Sports asked – and they answered (anonymously).
19. South Carolina wide receiver Bruce Ellington missed Tuesday’s practice with a hamstring issue. Wide receivers coach Steve Spurrier, Jr: ”I haven’t heard a word from him. Honestly, I’m a little disappointed because I’d like to see him out here.”
20. LSU freshman wide receiver Avery Peterson was apparently injured in Tuesday’s practice. Reportedly suffered broken ankle. Tigers will have three scrimmages with final two inside Tigers Stadium.
21. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin clarifies the suspension of defensive players Deshazor Everett and Floyd Raven Sr., saying they were allowed to return to football activities about a week ago.
22. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema has yet to grant Mekale McKay a scholarship release . Wide receiver was apparently not happy with new Razorbacks offense.
23. Auburn cuts Tuesday night’s practice short – a focus on today’s first live scrimmage of preseason camp.
24. Alabama wide receiver Tyler Bass had ankle surgery – out of for the rest of the preseason camp. Freshman linebacker Reuben Foster has had his left hand heavily taped the past few days.
25. James Franklin’s assessment of Vanderbilt’s progress: “The D-line is kicking the O-line’s (butt)!”
26. Tennessee throws two freshmen wide receivers into the first-team mix. “I saw our receivers in the spring. I know what they can do. I’ve got 25 days to see if anybody else can help us out.”
27. Ole Miss practiced in full pads Tuesday and coach Hugh Freeze likes what he sees from his freshmen: ”As they understand more, the confidence will get better.”
30. Kentucky coach John Calipari has his leaders for next season - three freshmen.
|Post Comments »||Comments (4)|