August 4th, 2013 11:15 AM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Auburn, Deshazor Everett, Floyd Raven Sr, Georgia, Joe Girardi, NFL, Ray Lewis, SEC
1. A key question at Arkansas as the Razorbacks begin camp this week. Is quarterback Brandon Allen ready to take charge?
2. At the top of the list of things to watch in LSU’s camp are quarterback Zach Mettenberger and new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.
3. Texas A&M returns 11 starters but will open camp without junior cornerback Deshazor Everett and senior safety Floyd Raven Sr., both projected starters and still suspended after an incident in April.
4. Kevin Scarbinsky on Auburn’s quarterback battle: “There’s this little detail that’s gotten virtually no attention or mention. All four scholarship quarterbacks at Auburn are black.”
5. “The legend of (Nick) Marshall continues to grow.”
6. After missing all of 2012 with a torn ACL, Florida linebacker Ronald Powell is back on the field.
7. Mississippi State freshman defensive lineman Chris Jones has added 50 pounds. ”He’s a little bit of a freak in nature in terms of what he can do athletically.”
8. Georgia freshman linebacker Leonard Floyd is already being compared to LSU star and first-round NFL pick Barkevious Mingo,
9. “Might this be the most inexperienced and yet perhaps the deepest defense Georgia has had in several years?” Safety Tray Matthews injured.
10. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin on his young defensive line: “The size, the athleticism … in the three years since we got here, we’ve never had a group of guys that looked like that.”
11. Freshman offensive tackle Harnett Gill has quit the Missouri football team. Tigers also lost junior college safety Duron Singleton this past week. Both leaving for personal reasons.
12. Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy discovered this spring he’s related to former teammate and first-round NFL pick Sheldon Richardson.
13. As part of Alabama’s “peer intervention program,” Crimson Tide players will hear from Joe Girardi, Herm Edwards and Ray Lewis. Caleb Gulledge medically disqualified after spring practice.
16. South Carolina wide receiver Bruce Ellington: “We’re trying to take that next step to the SEC championship. I think we’re ready to do that.”
17. Even though the quarterback position is not yet settled, it looks to be one of Kentucky’s strong points, along with middle linebacker and defensive line.
18. Kentucky fans like to name their pets after their coaches. That’s always a risk.
19. Depending on their age, SEC officials have to run 1.5 miles in a range from 12:55 to 16:50. If they fail to hit their time, they don’t get to ref.
|Post Comments »||Comments (16)|