May 17th, 2013 12:29 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: ACC, Alabama, Bill Battle Right, Coleman Coliseum, Dee Milliner, Extras Former Alabama, NFL, Nick Saban, SEC
1. Vanderbilt coach James Franklin makes it clear he’s no fan of going to a 9-game SEC schedule: “If it ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it…Who’s going to play Oregon or Ohio State out of conference now?”
2. Tennessee A.D. Dave Hart on coach Butch Jones: “He’s passionate, he’s genuine and I think he’s off to a very, very good start in terms of galvanizing our fan base.”
3. Can Kentucky’s 2013 offense compare to the 1997 Air Raid offense of Hal Mumme?
4. Incoming Ole Miss freshman Robert Nkemdiche: “It is nearly inconceivable that an 18-year-old can have the build of a rookie in the NFL, but Nkemdiche does.”
8. Auburn right tackle Avery Young on playing in a hurry-up, no-huddle offense. ”I’ve seen how it goes when playing against a team that’s not used to it.”
9. Gus Malzhan “has had seven different starting quarterbacks in seven years at the college level.”
10. Thanks to U.S. Open tennis shifting to ESPN, we could see more early SEC games on CBS starting in 2015.
Perspective on Nick Saban’s Week
11. 111 NFL players coached or recruited by Nick Saban - 33 of them at Alabama.
12. Robbie Andreu on Tim Davis’ comments regarding Saban: “Those being critical of his “devil” quote need to relax and understand that he was only kidding.”
13. Duane Rankin: “Davis’ comments are going to serve as motivation for Alabama, too.”
14. David Climer: (Saban) “gave him a job at two different levels of football. How about a little appreciation here?
15. MrSEC: “One man’s dream boss can be another man’s nightmare.”
16. ACC coaches want the coaches’ poll to be part of playoff criteria.
17. ACC TV Network? “ACC is able to proudly proclaim it has the most population (107 million) and most TV households (38 million) within its 10-state footprint of any conference.”
18. USC A.D. Pat Haden made $2.2 million in 2011 - second among athletic directors only to Vanderbilt’s David Williams (who held multiple titles that year). USC coach Lane Kiffin made $2.6 million that year - father Monte made $1.8 million.
19. Matt Hayes on Pat Fitzgerald’s Big Ten team: ”Northwestern was the only Big Ten team to beat the mighty SEC in a bowl game, the program’s first bowl victory since 1949.”
20. Georgia Tech and the strangest recruiting Photoshops of them all.
21. Is 45-year old Coleman Coliseum a long-term venue for Alabama? A.D. Bill Battle: ”Right now, I think the answer’s yes… if we outgrow Coleman, we’ll address that when that time comes, but we’ve got a ways to go before we get there.”
22. Auburn’s Tony Barbee may have the hottest seat of any coach in college basketball this year.
23. Kevin Stallings may add an assistant at Vanderbilt.
24. Why the next six weeks may determine if former Missouri guard Phil Pressey will have an NBA career.
25. Former Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner fires his agent for not being drafted in the top five.
|Post Comments »||One Comment|