May 14th, 2012 11:10 AM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: ACC, David Ubben, ESPN, FSU
Man, I was reaaaaallllly hoping we weren’t going to have to do this again all summer…
1. Here’s the full extent of FSU trustee Andy Haggard’s “I was only trying to say” backtrack from Sunday.
2. The ACC meetings got going yesterday and the Seminoles in attendance were “calm and relaxed.” (As opposed to Nathan Thurm.)
3. Want amazing? ESPN’s ACC blogger Heather Dinich lists “What to Watch” at this week’s gathering but does not mention the comments of Haggard or FSU’s AD or FSU’s president. At all. She barely mentions Jimbo Fisher’s comments and thanks him “for keeping the expansion talk alive.” Wow.
4. David Ubben, ESPN’s Big 12 blogger does talk about Haggard’s comments, but it’s clear that ESPN has put this topic on the backburner. I kept looking but I never saw this enormous, wild story make the homepage at ESPN.com over the weekend. Never. And you can bet that if it weren’t an ESPN contract that had FSU so ticked off you’d have seen Haggard’s comments and all the rampant speculation they touched off getting a lot more play. ”Worldwide Leader” indeed.
5. CBSSports.com’s Dennis Dodd is talking about a four-league universe. (He thinks ESPN will try to get FSU to stay put. We do, too, as we’ve mentioned.)
6. Matt Hayes of The Sporting News — taking things a bit further than we did today — suggests FSU would get “slaughtered” in the Big 12. (As we said when folks made those comments about Texas A&M last year, we’re not buying that based on FSU’s rich history. Power programs always rise again. However, at the moment there’s no question the Big 12 is tougher than the ACC football-wise and the Noles haven’t been tearing up the ACC. Additionally, if some FSU fans think the ACC favors UNC and Duke, wait’ll they land in the Big 12 with Texas.)
7. Chadd Scott of ChuckOliver.net does a good job of explaining Tier 3 media rights if you’re not well-versed on that subject.
8. Warchant.com says “it’s all about the money” for Florida State.
|Post Comments »||Comments (6)|