April 5th, 2013 12:29 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Auburn Investigation, Dan Hipsher, Deke Adams, Selena Roberts
1. Former Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick’s name was mentioned in Selena Roberts’ original report – a claim that former Auburn player Mike McNeil was given $500 from coaches to entertain Kirkpatrick during a recruiting visit. ”Nobody gave me any money, and nobody spent any money on me that I know of.”
2. The uncle of former Auburn running back Michael Dyer says his nephew was never in danger of academic ineligibility at the school.
3. Auburn A.D. Jay Jacobs fires back at ESPN over their story on synthetic marijuana use. ”Some of the statements made in the story are wrong and need to be corrected, while others need to be put into proper context.”
4. ESPN The Magazine writer Shaun Assael: ”I find this mystifying, a website seems to be reporting that a couple of parents were told that their kids were using (synthetic marijuana). So now my head is spinning.”
5. Multiple reports, multiple statements and denials. Here’s a recap of the past few days.
6. Kevin Scarbinsky: “The NCAA’s failure to substantiate any allegations of major violations was not for a lack of looking.”
7. A timeline of Auburn being in the news for the wrong reasons.
8. More signs that Georgia’s John Theus will play left tackle this fall after manning the right side last season. Will play on the left side during Saturday’s G-Day game.
9. Tennessee defensive line coach Steve Stripling on freshman Corey Vereen: “He is the most motivated freshman I’ve ever seen in my career. He is unbelievable.”
10. Johnny Manziel’s favorite target is wide receiver Mike Evans. His goal this fall is to win the Biletnikoff Award – given to the nations’ best receiver. Had 82 catches for 1,105 yards last season.
11. Friday Night Lights scrimmage tonight at Texas A&M.
12. After missing the past two seasons with knee injuries, Ole Miss linebacker D.T. Shackelford is back on the practice field. ”Physically, I feel great. I feel like I’m 100 percent healthy.”
13. First scrimmage of the spring Saturday at Mississippi State. Dan Mullen: “I want to see some young guys step up with some opportunities to play.”
14. Concern for the Arkansas defense - who will start at middle linebacker?
15. Assistant coach Deke Adams wants his South Carolina defensive line to have a sack every 15 passes.
16. Auburn has shoes to fill in its receiving corps - Jaylon Denson wants to be one of the guys the offense can count on. First full spring scrimmage at Auburn Saturday.
17. Friends, family and colleagues gathered to remember former Alabama A.D. Mal Moore, who passed away Saturday. Nick Saban: ”He said, ‘You changed my life when you came here.’ I looked at him directly and said, ‘No, Mal, you changed my life.”
18. Future players, current players and the rules of the Twittersphere. Those rules aren’t always clean cut
19. Alabama assistant Dan Hipsher will be the new head coach at Texas-Pan American.
20. The Miami investigation, Missouri coach Frank Haith and the motion to dismiss. Andy Katz: Haith should have name cleared.
21. How good was Florida’s defense this past season? In 37 games, only two teams hit their scoring average when they played the Gators.
22. Pat Forde on NCAA President Mark Emmert: ”Emmert wins the prize as the most embattled NCAA president in the 62-year history of the position.”
23. A.D. Tim Pernetti out at Rutgers.
24. Hall of Famer Rick Pitino?
25. “Leno got fired?” Louisville’s Kevin Ware does Letterman’s Top 10 list.
|Post Comments »||One Comment|