1. Will Muschamp assesses Florida football: “We’re an ascending program.” Muschamp a more popular man this offseason vs. last.
2. A review of the lines for season openers in the Nick Saban era at Alabama. Crimson Tide open as a 22-point favorite against Virginia Tech – haven’t been underdog since 2009 SEC Championship Game.
3. Saban asks North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams for advice on how to defend up-tempo offenses.
4. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn talks depth chart – quarterbacks Kiehl Frazier and Jonathan Wallace even. “Dead heat” battle gets a new entrant this month with arrival of JUCO transfer Nick Marshall.
5. Auburn safety Demetruce McNeal is back in good standing with the team. Malzahn: ”We took care of all the off-the-field issues that we had, so he is going to be in the mix.”
6. Texas A&M announces expansion plans for Kyle Field - but what happens when the newness wears off? “You have to go back only a couple of years when — other than the Texas game — sellouts were few and far between.”
7. LSU running back Jeremy Hill, not formally charged yet for his role in a bar fight, won’t face a judge this week regarding probation for a prior case.
8. Tennessee offensive tackle Ja’Wuan James on learning to be a leader: ”Leadership is hard, because it’s making decisions first of all upon yourself and living the right way…”
9. Who would you take – Johnny Manziel, AJ McCarron or Aaron Murray? When it comes to the NFL draft, here’s one vote for Murray.
10. Guard Brian Greene, Jr. is leaving Auburn. Rutgers point guard Jerome Seagears will transfer to Auburn.
11. Klem Ogbueze on the decision by his brother, Braxton Ogbueze, to transfer out of Florida. “He should have been playing. There were some teammates, some people on the coaching staff that felt he should have been playing more.”
12. Kentucky unveils its non-conference schedule – five opponents that ended the year with a top 50 RPI.
13. Andy Katz asks – can we do away with two NBA draft deadlines?
14. A record $71 million surplus for the NCAA in 2012.
15. “The entire concept of college sports amateurism belongs in history’s dustbin.”
16. NCAA officials meeting today to discuss revising a handful of recruiting deregulations.
17. The financial gap between Alabama and Auburn – “Alabama generated $18.9 million more in revenue than Auburn last year, marking the fifth straight year Alabama’s advantage exceeded at least $13 million.”
18. Update on status of two lawsuits filed against the University of Tennessee by current/former athletic department employees.
19. Father of former Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray on the NFL draft. “I know I’m his parent, but I don’t see how 11 quarterbacks get picked, and the best quarterback physically is not picked.”
20. Former LSU cornerback Tharold Simon, drafted by Seattle, addresses his arrest last week. “I had 30 witnesses right there that know I didn’t do anything wrong.”
21. More undrafted Ole Miss players sign free-agent contracts.
22. Missouri fans, did you know you had a fullback last season? Jared McGriff-Culver gets a shot with the Oakland Raiders.
23. Is Knoxville, Tennessee the most perfectly average place in America?