NFL Draft Prospects
1. Florida junior defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd on the possibility of leaving for the NFL. ”Right now, we’re just focusing on Louisville. I haven’t talked to anybody about the NFL.”
2. Teammate Matt Elam wouldn’t comment on his NFL draft prospects Saturday – his older brother Abe is a seven-year NFL veteran with the Kansas City Chiefs.
3. Two sources say Florida is planning to lose both Floyd and Elam. Elam’s high school coach- Jack Daniels – yes, Jack Daniels – says he expects Elam to leave.
4. Mississippi State offensive guard Gabe Jackson is waiting to hear back from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.
5. Georgia has at least three players contemplating early entry into the NFL draft - and a few other distractions to deal with.
6. Are Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews and Chris Boyd the best receiving duo in college football?
7. Florida wide receiver Omarius Hines is keeping tabs on Louisville in New Orleans. “I’ve seen a lot of players out having a good time.”
8. Louisville’s offensive coordinator Shawn Watson on Florida’s defense. “No. 1, they have great talent,” Watson said. “All across the board, and they have depth besides talent.
9. The new Arkansas staff has plenty of Florida recruiting ties.
10. LSU is getting healthy – multiple players returning for the bowl game. LSU has already defeated Clemson - at the Brazilian barbecue meat-eating contest.
11. He’s graduated twice, has had two senior days, been to two national championship games – a long career for one LSU player: “Josh Dworaczyk has been here for six or 10 years, a number of years,” Les Miles deadpanned recently. “I think he’s been here longer than I have. He finally got his (second) degree.”
12. SI’s Andy Staples sees a 10-point LSU victory over Clemson. And a three-point win for South Carolina
13. South Carolina’s Bruce Ellington is not just a talented two-sport player - he’s a legitimate SEC wide receiver.
14. Alabama center Barrett Jones still pedaling a stationary bike during practice and wearing a boot on his injured foot.
15. USA Today asks - who does America hate more: Alabama or Notre Dame?
16. Bo Wallace’s sore shoulder won’t prevent the Ole Miss quarterback from playing in the bowl game.
17. Mississippi State needs to reignite its running game- averaged just 55.5 yards in last four losses.
18. Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen is appreciative of wide receiver Chad Bumphis and other seniors who were part of his first recruiting class: They’ll leave as one of the most successful classes in school history.”
19. Expect a high-scoring game at the Gator Bowl between Mississippi State and Northwestern.
20. If Georgia beats Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl, it will mark only the third Bulldog team in history to win 12 games.
21. Something’s gotta give. Neither Georgia QB Aaron Murray nor Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez has ever won a bowl game. Both are 0-2.
22. Georgia wide receiver Marlon Brown says he’s never seen the footage of the hit that resulted in a torn ACL and the end of his college career. “I haven’t even seen the film of the actual play,” Brown said. “I felt him twisting my leg, but also felt him hit his helmet on my knee. I don’t know what caused it.”
23. A thought on Derek Dooley’s future.
24. Important “offseason” coming up for the Liberty Bowl. Contract is up at the same time the bowl system is being overhauled.
25. John Calipari pulled off a switch at the free-throw line Saturday – refs missed it.
26. A tough Saturday for Kentucky freshman Willie Cauley-Stein – missed six free throws in the last 4:22 of the game.
27. Eight of ESPN’s top 100 2013 NBA prospects were on display in the Kentucky-Louisville game.
28. How the bench saved Tennessee in its victory over Xavier Saturday.
29. Missouri had a nine-point lead late in the game Friday night against UCLA but lost in overtime. Frank Haith: “We will learn from it. There is a lot of basketball left in the season.’’
30. When will LSU’s Johnny O’Bryant (injured) and Anthony Hickey (suspended) return to action?
31. Alabama vs. Tulane. Coach Anthony Grant is looking to forward Nick Jacobs. “Our team needs Nick to step up.”
32. Mississippi State vs. Alabama A&M. Bulldogs playing their first home game in nearly a month.
33. Remembering Declan Sullivan – the Notre Dame student killed at practice two years ago.
34. Former Auburn basketball player Kenny Gabriel went to Israel to play basketball - and experienced sirens, missiles and safe rooms.