January 17th, 2014 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Chris Wilson, Gator Bowl, Georgia, James Franklin, Josh Harvey Clemons, Steve Spurrier, UK, Vinnie Sunseri
1. Looks like Stanford defensive coordinator Derek Mason will be the next head coach at Vanderbilt. Reportedly had second interview this morning.
2. Georgia won’t have a single assistant coach on defense returning next season – first time that’s happened in half a century. Defensive line coach Chris Wilson apparently had some second thoughts, but is leaving for USC.
3. Turnover is the norm on almost every coaching staff in the SEC – except Missouri.
4. “Did anybody really expect (James) Franklin to keep his hands off all of Vanderbilt’s commitments? That’s naïve.”
5. South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier will be 73 when his current deal expires – he has the option to become a “special advisor” at the school when he does decide to retire.
6. Georgia safety Josh Harvey-Clemons will miss the first three games of next season - part of the same suspension that forced him to sit out the Gator Bowl.
7. Here’s a list of SEC players to keep your eye on during the 2014 season. And some potential Heisman candidates from the conference.
8. Who will replace Jay Prosch in the Auburn backfield?
9. And quarterback AJ McCarron at Alabama? “The race is as wide open as Megatron in a middle-school secondary.”
10. Juniors have three days to rescind their NFL draft decision and retain college eligibility. That’s apparently what Alabama safety Vinnie Sunseri is pondering.
11. Alabama senior cornerback Deion Blue projects as an NFL talent but dealt with turf toe all season.
12. Perspective on AJ McCarron missing the Senior Bowl: “This is the biggest name from Mobile turning down his one opportunity to participate in Mobile’s biggest annual sporting event.”
13. Kentucky guard Aaron Harrison threw a ball into the scoreboard at the end of their overtime loss at Bud Walton arena this week. Arkansas plans to keep it there.
14. South Carolina guard Tyrone Johnson fractured his foot against Texas A&M Wednesday night – will require surgery.
15. Ole Miss guard Marshall Henderson says he can’t remain calm. ”I can’t do it anymore. I’m sorry. I’m going back to me, because we need it.”
16. Florida much better at close games this year - Gators 0-6 in games decided by single digits a year ago.
18. John Calipari is already thinking ahead to next year’s Christmas break and including UK fans in “Camp Cal.”
19. Suspended for Saturday’s game against Auburn, Missouri forward Tony Criswell returned to action last night. Scored five points in losing effort.
|Post Comments »||Comments (40)|