August 24th, 2012 12:10 PM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Channing Ward, Kiehl Frazier, LSU, SEC
SEC East Football
1. Dan Quinn wants his first Florida defense to be aggressive. (What coaches say otherwise?)
2. Samuel L. Jackson spoke to Georgia’s football team yesterday. Here’s more on how Jackson is “cooler than life.” (No word on whether the actor struck down upon them with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempted to poison and destroy his brothers.)
3. Here’s a Q&A with UGA linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti.
4. Joker Phillips says starting quarterback Maxwell Smith is “a little more vocal because he knows it’s his.”
5. Steve Spurrier says that quarterback Connor Shaw could “hardly move” due to a stiff back yesterday… but he’s hopeful it’s not a serious problem.
6. Has Carolina answered the the biggest issues it faced entering fall camp?
8. Could Rogers’ disappearance be addition by subtraction for the Vols?
9. Vanderbilt’s kickers hope experience will help them in 2012.
10. Top signee Dorial Green-Beckham had a great scrimmage, but Missouri suffered another injury to its offensive line.
SEC West Football
11. Kiehl Frazier didn’t win the Auburn quarterback derby by default.
12. Alabama expects more from receiver Christion Jones.
13. Good news: Bama AD Mal Moore has been released from the hospital after an irregular heartbeat incident yesterday. (Best wishes to Moore and his family.)
14. Rehabbed running back Knile Davis is expected to finally get some contact in Arkansas’ scrimmage today.
15. As many as 13 freshmen could play for the Hogs this year.
16. Defensive tackle Bennie Logan will wear the all-important #18 jersey for LSU this season.
17. Honey Badger Alert: Tyrann Mathieu is expected to enroll as a student at LSU and pay his own way.
19. Ole Miss may build a special package to get freshman pass-rusher Channing Ward on the field.
20. Hugh Freeze is in no rush to name a starting quarterback in Oxford.
21. Kevin Sumlin says youth will be served at Texas A&M.
22. As for the speed of Sumlin’s offense, “We can’t do anything until the center get to the ball.”
23. This writer takes a look at the “new look” Southeastern Conference.
24. In the SEC, even the backups are studs…
26. And so are the guys chasing them.
27. Which basketball coaches would other basketball coaches hire? Billy Donovan and John Calipari make the list.
28. Big 12 commish Bob Bowlsby says 10 is the right number for his league: “In the ACC and SEC there are some institutions that have 100-year histories of playing each other that aren’t going to be playing each other every year.” More here. (We’re still waiting to hear from all those Texas folks who ripped us for calling baloney on the Clemson/FSU “done deal” rumors this summer.)
29. Kentucky is showing interest in an ex-Xavier player booted for a “serious violation” of XU’s code of student conduct.
30. Tennessee’s Cuonzo Martin thinks his team “became really close” after their recent trip to Italy.
31. He also says “Jarnell Stokes and Yemi Makanjoula are more explosive.”
|Post Comments »||No Comments|