March 7th, 2013 03:01 PM║ Posted By: MrSEC.com ║ Permalink
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Cedric Collins, Clifton Garrett, Ermon Lane, Miami, NFL, Sammie Epps, Todd Grantham, Ty Storey
1. Biggest negative recruiting weapon to be employed against Georgia? Probably defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, argues Michael Carvell at AJC.com. The reason? He has a track record, valuable NFL experience and because he’s a hot name in coaching circles, questions are being raised about how long he’ll be in Athens. Coach Mark Richt: “We will always have great assistants here at Georgia. You know, we can’t control what everybody is going to do but neither can any other program sit around and promise they’re not going to have an assistant coach have an opportunity that he might take.”
2. The latest 300-pound behemoth to get an offer from Alabama? 6-foot-7, 310 pound Roderick Johnson from suburban St. Louis, MO. ”All I have to say is it’s Alabama. It’s Alabama baby. The last three years they have run the SEC.” Johnson is now the fifth 300-pound + lineman that Alabama has offered since Mario Cristobal became the offensive line coach.
3. Five-star defensive back Tony Brown wants to play two sports – football and track. The Beaumont, Texas star is tied for the fastest 60-meter hurdle this year at 7.76 seconds. He has offers from than 20 schools, including LSU.
4. Joliet, Illinois linebacker Clifton Garrett is a top target of Ole Miss for 2014. Rivals rates him the 53rd best player in the country. Garrett is expected to visit Oxford later this spring. Here’s what his high school coach had to say: “I know that he likes (Ole Miss). To what extent he’s interested? That I couldn’t tell you.”
5. The Ole Miss 2014 class is up to six players with the commitment of Greenwood, Mississippi wide receiver Sammie Epps.
6. One of the nation’s top wide receiver prospects has an offer from Auburn. Homestead, Florida wide receiver Ermon Lane said recently he prefers a pro-style offense ”because that’s what most of the NFL teams run.” Lane’s cousin is a former Miami linebacker. In addition to Miami, Florida, Florida State, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU are all thought to have a shot.
7. Texas A&M’s 2014 class is up to 10 commitments, seven on the defensive side. Defensive back commitment Cedric Collins: “The excitement around A&M right now is well deserved for the year we had. The win over Alabama was just the beginning. The goal is not just to win the SEC, but a (national) championship, and Johnny winning the Heisman was just a great way to start with our first year in the SEC.”
8. Charleston, Arkansas quarterback Ty Storey threw for almost 4,400 yards his sophomore year. He visited Arkansas over the weekend. Storey likes Bret Bielema’s offense: “I like it because it’s more like a pro-style offense so it gets you ready for the next level and hopefully I can be there one day.” Gus Malzahn offered Storey a scholarship when he was at Arkansas State.
9. Little Rock, Arkansas guard Anton Beard decommitted from Missouri in February. He now has a new top four and three of them are in the SEC. Beard tweeted this morning: “Narrow my list to 4- Umass, Arkansas , LSU , Tennessee …”
|Post Comments »||Comments (9)|