April 25th, 2012 12:18 PM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Ben Hur, Jeff Long, John Chavis, SEC
1. Here’s a quick overview on the current state of the BCS versus playoff debate.
2. SEC newbies Missouri and Texas A&M are gearing up for Year One in their new home.
3. Several ex-Alabama stars are hoping “the Saban Effect” will make their NFL draft waits shorter.
5. Jeff Long found Arkansas’ solution for 2012, but the search will go for the man to lead the Hogs in 2013 and beyond. (Remember: Butch Davis.)
6. LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis — with a new deal in the works – will be the SEC latest million-bucks-a-year assistant coach.
7. New Rebel football coach Hugh Freeze and AD Ross Bjork are hitting the road to unite the Ole Miss fanbase.
9. Dan Mullen is happy with his team’s attitude at Mississippi State.
10. Kevin Sumlin says Texas A&M’s quarterbacks are progressing faster than he expected.
11. Want a summary of Florida’s recent football woes? Chris Rainey might be the only Gator drafted into the NFL this year. Wow.
12. Will Muschamp is optimistic heading into summer.
13. Georgia’s kickers are hoping to hear their names called at the NFL draft.
14. Kentucky’s John Calipari threw out a first-pitch strike before a Cincinnati Reds game last night. (For what it’s worth, the Mason-Dixon line in my view lies somewhere between Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio. In Columbus, a “How ya doin?” will be met with a blank stare. In Cincinnati, you’ll get a “Fine, how’re you?” back. And for all the Ohio fans angry that Cincy honored UK’s hoops team last night, they do realize their airport is actually in Kentucky, don’t they?)
15. New South Carolina basketball coach Frank Martin says he “didn’t run away from Kansas State” because he was mad at that school’s AD and administration. ( That means he’s the first person to believe that.)
16. Derek Dooley has released a post-spring depth chart at Tennessee.
17. Vanderbilt’s James Franklin wanted turf not grass at Dudley Field… and what Franklin wants, he gets. (Good for Vandy. They really are making a commitment to their coach.)
18. SEC coaches say Missouri’s offense will present league defenses with a new set of challenges.
19. The coaches at Mizzou and A&M have walked onto difficult ground by entering the Southeastern Conference.
20. Fans of both schools are getting more excited about joining their new league.
|Post Comments »||Comments (11)|