April 4th, 2014 01:15 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Johnny Manziel, Tony Stevens
1. Tennessee coach Butch Jones on Lane Kiffin’s return to Knoxville when Alabama comes to Tennessee: ”He’s a great football coach, but we’ll worry about that game.”
2. Tennessee freshman cornerback Emmanuel Moseley has been practicing with the first team for much of the spring.
3. Did Vanderbilt sacrifice home-field advantage by moving its game against Ole Miss to LP Field?
4. LSU’s spring game on Saturday expected to attract 20,000 to 25,000 fans.
5. Heading into the second scrimmage of the spring, Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen is not a happy man. “There’s a lot of guys to me… have to understand how serious it is if they want to get on the field and go play.”
6. Georgia’s J.J. Green on learning to play the nickle back position: “Coach wants everybody to learn a different position just in case he has to throw somebody out there because of injuries.” Lot of spring injuries in the Georgia offense.
7. Anticipating the December day when the fifth-best team in the country is left out of the playoffs. ”It’ll make college basketball’s Selection Sunday look like a garden party.”
8. An argument for why Bruce Pearl’s arrival as Auburn’s basketball coach is a good move – for Auburn football.
9. Is Auburn defensive back Josh’s Holsey’s recovery from a torn ACL nothing short of remarkable?
10. Auburn receiver Tony Stevens on quarterback Nick Marshall: “His leadership is very strong.”
11. Marshall one of just three SEC quarterbacks that started double-digit games last fall and returning this year.
12/ Defensive line depth a concern at Florida?
13. Big change upfront at Arkansas. Center Luke Charpentier replacing departed four-year start Travis Swanson.
14. Texas A&M renovating its football complex.
15. One of the storylines for Saturdays semi-final games. Florida guard Scottie Wilbekin vs. UConn All-American guard Shabazz Napier.
16. Pete Thamel on Billy Donovan: “Donovan sits on the precipice of joining some of the most elite company in college basketball.”
17. Kentucky’s Willie Cauley-Stein walking without crutches - still unlikely to play Saturday.
18. If Kentucky wins it all - ”the cumulative total of the seeds Kentucky defeated in this year’s NCAA Tournament would be 19.” Record is 20- set by Villanova in 1985.
19. Kentucky coach John Calipari on ending one-and-done: ”What I propose isn’t that radical, nor should it be difficult.”
20. X-factors on Saturday. Does Final Four success hinge on the performance of these guys?
21. The no-booze rule at NCAA events has been around for 40 years.
22. Missouri basketball player Zach Price arrested a second time for assault - accused of ramming alleged victims’ car from first incident.
23. If Jabari Brown follows through and enters NBA draft, Missouri will have a returning roster that averaged 18.1 points per game last season.
24. The Wall Street Journal on the not-so-shining NCAA Tournament moments. ”The Missouri Tigers have the dubious distinction of turning up five times in our 10-year sample.”
25. Rupp Arena - the best in college basketball?
26. Georgia working on ways to improve attendance.
27. Florida State under investigation by the U.S. Department of Education in connection with case involving Jameis Winston.
28. Texas paid a search firm almost $267,000 to find Charlie Strong. Or as College Football Talk notes, “It cost Texas $266,900 to not get Nick Saban.”
29. Johnny Manziel trademark filing - “The House That Johnny Built”
|Post Comments »||One Comment|