July 31st, 2012 12:51 PM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Academy Awards
1. CBSSports.com has released its preseason All-SEC team. (Anyone else not see the point of preseason all-everything teams and preseason award watch lists? I mean, what if you gave out pre-Academy Awards? “‘Ishtar’ should be great, why look at that cast!”)
2. Here are five questions facing Alabama in preseason camp.
3. A well-meaning Bama fan who feels Penn State was unjustly punished by the NCAA is trying to raise cash with an “Elephants for Lions” campaign. (How ’bout raising money for the hungry or the homeless instead?)
4. With Mike Dyer gone (from Auburn and from Arkansas State), who’ll step in as Gene Chizik’s top running back?
5. Arkansas backup quarterback Brandon Mitchell is listed on the Hogs’ basketball roster for 2012-13… Marshawn Powell is “iffy” for the team’s August tour of Italy… and Mike Anderson is still waiting for NCAA clearance for signee Alandise Harris.
6. Penn State backup quarterback Rob Bolden is still considering a transfer to LSU.
7. The NCAA has cited Ole Miss for improper phone use. (Man, I hope that just means they made calls they shouldn’t have made.)
8. Rebel defensive tackle Woodrow Hamilton is ready for football season.
9. Mississippi State still has a limited number of season tickets for sale. (You don’t think home games with Jackson State, South Alabama and MTSU have anything to do with that do you?)
10. Don’t expect Texas A&M to throw the ball on every down.
11. Florida’s strength coordinator is looking to improve his players’ endurance for 2012.
12. Georgia’s football team reports for duty tonight.
13. Dawg basketball player Donte’ Williams says a misdemeanor charge of pot possession against him has been dropped.
14. A once-bitter Wildcat has reconnected with Kentucky’s football program. (A very interesting read.)
15. We usually don’t deal with what happens to former SEC players, but this one’s made national news… Tennessee Titans receiver OJ Murdock apparently committed suicide Monday morning. He was a member of Steve Spurrier first signing class at South Carolina before being dismissed from the team.
16. This writer believes Tennessee has the roster to become nationally relevant again.
17. Missouri offensive tackle Elvis Fisher is back or a sixth season and ready to play.
18. This writer says rule changes could cause chaos this season.
|Post Comments »||Comments (6)|