1. The SEC has named its Players of the Week for Week One.
2. Auburn will be looking for lots of improvement over its opener.
3. The Tigers need to start work in the trenches.
4. Alabama will be looking to fine-tune itself in preparation for a trip to Penn State.
5. AJ McCarron looked better than Phillip Sims on Saturday, but no one’s saying the Bama quarterback race has been decided.
6. For the most part, Arkansas accomplished its goals in a 51-7 win over Missouri State.
7. Here’s a postgame report card for the Hogs.
8. LSU coaches and quarterback Jarrett Lee had to really cram for Saturday’s “exam” with Oregon…
9. And while Lee and LSU passed that test, this writer says the Tigers still need Jordan Jefferson at quarterback.
10. MSU’s Dan Mullen isn’t buying that Auburn is that bad…
11. ”They scored 42 points against a really, really good football team in Utah State.”
12. With MRIs on the docket for today, Ole Miss’ backfield remains a complete mystery for now.
13. Southern Illinois is on deck next, but here’s a quick review of the Rebels’ loss to BYU.
14. Will Muschamp was pleased with Florida’s opener… but now he wants to see improvement.
15. Quarterback John Brantley is getting praise for his command on Saturday.
16. Florida’s decision to declare defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd ineligible could tie to his recruitment by other schools.
17. Saturday’s game with South Carolina could “swing future status” for Mark Richt.
18. The Carolina game will be a lot bigger than Saturday’s game with Boise State, that’s for sure.
19. Richt plans to continue rotating his tailbacks, but linebacker Alec Ogletree will be out four to six weeks with a broken foot. Big loss.
20. Only four FBS schools had worse offensive performances than Kentucky last week.
21. No surprise then that UK is at the bottom of the SEC in total offense… despite playing what figures to be a horrible Western Kentucky team.
22. Steve Spurrier isn’t happy with South Carolina’s passing game.
23. Here’s a report card from the Cocks’ win over East Carolina.
24. Tennessee’s Tyler Bray put up good numbers and played with poise on Saturday night.
25. The Vols will now try to fix their run game before this week’s matchup with Cincinnati.
26. Vanderbilt’s Chris Boyd dreamed that his first catch would go for a touchdown… and it did.
27. Talk about aggressive, Vandy went for it on fourth down three times and converted each time.
28. And finally, the Rice marching band took a shot at Texas A&M and the “$EC” on Saturday.
29. When it comes to ticket sales, even SEC schools are having to battle HDTV.
30. There continue to be rumblings that some Texas politicians want to slow down the rush to realign and expand.