March 12th, 2014 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Cale Gundy, Patton Robinette, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Vavae Tata
1. Oklahoma assistant coach Cale Gundy tweets picture of Nick Saban: “Looks like someone came up short again.” Later removes and apologizes.
2. Vanderbilt hires Frank Maile to replace Vavae Tata as defensive line coach. Spent last six years at Utah State.
3. Commodores opened spring practice on Tuesday with a quarterback battle between Johnny McCrary and Patton Robinette
5. Minor scuffle breaks out as LSU puts the pads on for the first time this spring.
6. Coach Butch Jones message to his team in pads for the first time. ”Your win-loss record starts today.”
7. Florida will start spring practice with nine injured players including three starters. Expect to see quarterback Jeff Driskel in the shotgun formation.
8. Gators running back Matt Jones won’t participate in spring practice but on schedule to return before summer.
10. Missouri releases a depth chart that shows some shuffling along the offensive line.
11. Alabama will have to replace both its starting kicker and starting punter this fall.
12. Linebacking corps expected to be a strength at Tennessee in 2014.
13. Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury on coaching at Houston with Kevin Sumlin and thinking they were headed to UCLA but wound up at Texas A&M. ”That was a tough day…”
14. Is Texas A&M’s expansion of Kyle Field a motivator for Texas?
15. First of two Alabama pro days today with 12 players expected to make an appearance.
16. All SEC basketball teams released. Florida’s Billy Donovan earned SEC Coach of the Year honors while Florida senior Scottie Wilbekin selected the SEC Player of the Year.
17. SEC regular season basketball attendance averaged 10,380 fans – on pace to be lowest since 1984-1985. Should college basketball be a one-semester sport?
18. SEC Tournament gets underway tonight in Atlanta. Can Auburn beat South Carolina for the third time this season?
19. Auburn players hear the chatter about coach Tony Barbee: “We hear it all the time but we can’t focus on that.”
20. South Carolina coach Frank Martin: “Postseason play is a completely different set of emotions than you have in the regular season.”
21. Mississippi State faces Vanderbilt in the nightcap. MSU A.D. Scott Stricklin defends coach Rick Ray: “It’s my belief that the wins will come.”
22. Walk-on point guard Carter Josephs will make another start for Vanderbilt.
23. Texas A&M forward Jamal Jones doubtful for Missouri game on Thursday. Had a 103 temperature on Monday.
24. Last year’s Ole Miss team won the SEC Tournament. Coach Andy Kennedy: We hoped that was the standard by which we could continue to grow.”
25. One take on the tournament: “Other than Florida and Kentucky, isn’t everyone else a darkhorse?”
27. Arkansas coach Mike Anderson: “I think it’s going to be a wide-open tournament.”
28. Georgia reserve center John Cannon is transferring – won’t be at the tournament
|Post Comments »||No Comments|