March 7th, 2014 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Georgia, LSU, SEC
1. Debate over number of conference games almost over. Commissioner Mike Slive says decision for 2016 and beyond will come by the SEC spring meetings in May.
2. If a targeting penalty is overturned this fall, player will remain in game AND 15-yard penalty will no longer apply.
3. Nick Saban may deny it but Steve Spurrier still believes the 10-second delay rule originated with the Alabama coach: “He’s the guy that went out there and got them to put it on the table for discussion.”
4. Chris Low: ”Saban will remain the lightning rod in this debate…”
5. Saban likes his group of early enrollees.“I’ve been really impressed with the eight freshmen that we have here.”
6. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin wouldn’t elaborate on Thursday’s dismissal of defensive back Kameron Miles. ”There was a release today. That’s about it.”
7. There’s a change in style of quarterback at LSU: “the era of the statuesque purple and gold pocket passer looks like it has gone the way of single bar facemasks.”
8. Big focus for Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason - his footwork.
9. How is new Georgia defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt changing things? Let us count the ways.
10. Kentucky makes it official - Craig Naivar is the new special teams coordinator and safeties coach
11. A low-key start as South Carolina begins spring practice.
12. He’s Deterrian – Not D.T. – Shackelford and he’ll begin his sixth season at Ole Miss this fall.
13. Three things to watch in spring practice at Tennessee. Is this a 5-to-7 win team?
14. Coach Butch Jones: “They’re eager. They’re willing. They have no bad habits right now. They hang on everything you say.”
15. Six trends to watch in spring practice at Missouri. Who will be the leaders of this Tigers team?
Stadiums and Alcohol
16. Ron Higgins on beer and ball games: “SEC athletic directors need to walk a straight line slowly and carefully when discussing selling at beer in stadiums.”
17. Kevin Scarbinsky: “I’m not sure the most passionate state in the nation needs any more of a buzz when it comes to college football.”
18. Johnny Manziel signs a multi-year deal with Nike - reportedly highest price paid for a rookie in this year’s class.
19. Clearing up some misinformation about the health of Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio.
20. Florida is a win away from SEC history – a perfect 18-0 conference. Kentucky is the only thing standing in its way.
21. LSU was 17-0 in SEC play in 1981 when it lost to Kentucky at Rupp Arena.
22. Auburn A.D. Jay Jacobs demanded “significant improvement.” Has Tony Barbee delivered?
23. During the current Arkansas hot streak, reserve guard Anthlon Bell has caught fire.
24. Like a lot of SEC teams, Missouri tends to win at home and lose on the road. ”This team hasn’t given us any reason to expect any more or less.”
|Post Comments »||One Comment|