April 16th, 2014 01:00 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: David Climer, Football Bowl Subdivision, Former South Carolina, Kelcy Quarles
1. Two SEC quarterbacks are on the move. Jalen Whitlow is leaving Kentucky and Coach Mark Stoops says he’s “disappointed,” wanted him to consider moving to wide receiver. Started 15 games in two seasons at Kentucky.
2. Matt Joeckel departing from Texas A&M. Joeckel has already graduated and will be immediately eligible at an FBS program. Aggies down to sophomore Kenny Hill and freshman Kyle Allen.
3. With Dorial Green-Beckham’s dismissal, Missouri has lost three receivers 6-4 or taller. They’re being replaced by receivers all 6-3 or shorter.
4. Florida coach Will Muschamp likes his wide receiving talent: “I think we’re as deep as we’ve been at wide receiver…”
5. Georgia’s focus this summer – getting players leaner. “This league is a lot of no-huddle. We can’t be 330 pounds out there.”
6. Defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt wants leadership from his upperclassmen: “We need more out of them,”
7. LSU’s opener in Houston against Wisconsin will kick off in prime time.
8. LSU quarterback Brandon Harris will spend the month of May with former LSU quarterback Craig Nall and quarterback guru George Whitfield.
9. Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson on injuries this spring: “We had probably about a dozen guys that either missed all of spring practice or a great portion of spring practice…”
10. The left tackle battle at Alabama is a two-man race between third-year sophomore Brandon Greene and freshman Cam Robinson.
11. Kevin Scarbinsky defines the Bowden Triangle: “It’s the place where the best high school and junior college prospects come to play and the rest of the Football Bowl Subdivision’s dreams of a national championship go to die.”
12. Many thought Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen was on the hot seat last season but A.D. Scott Stricklin says that wasn’t the case.“What people on the outside seemed to perceive wasn’t really the case.”
13. Former South Carolina players Kelcy Quarles and Victor Hampton are expected to be drafted next month. They’re also reportedly wanted for questioning for their roles in a New York City nightclub fight.
14. Johnny Manziel will work out for the Cleveland Browns this weekend.
15. Missouri’s Max Copeland was a guard in college – wants to be a fullback in the NFL. Lost 50 pounds. ”I would work until I puked and then keep working.”
16. 23 NFL teams at Georgia’s pro day.
Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee
17. David Climer on Cuonzo Martin’s departure from Tennessee: “While Martin was never fully embraced at UT, he never fully embraced UT, either.”
18. Tennessee A.D. Dave Hart: “There were a lot of distractions, you know what they were, you reported on them.”
19. “Hart and the rest of the UT administration should never again treat a coach the way they allowed Martin to be treated.”
21. Martin on his new job at Cal: ”It’s a place I could spend the rest of my life.”
23. Rupp Arena renovation plans up in the air after legislature fails to vote on $80 million in proposed state aid.
24. ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla on Missouri’s Jabari Brown – projected as a second-round pick: “I think he’s going to play in the NBA someday, but there’s a difference between playing in the NBA and becoming a true NBA player — a guy who stays in the league for 10 or 12 years.”
25. Unlimited meals and snacks on the way for college athletes.
26. The New York Times on the Jameis Winston case – “there was virtually no investigation at all, either by the police or by the university.”
|Post Comments »||One Comment|