1. Former Browns GM Phil Savage on Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott: "He makes them a legitimate contender in the SEC West."
2. Nick Saban downplayed Alabama's struggles against uptempo offenses. Kirby Smart weighed in on the subject, too.
3. Linebacker Trey DePriest looked better at Alabama's Monday practice while defensive lineman A'Shawn Robinson continues to miss practice time.
4. There's a lot of talk in Auburn's camp about Melvin Ray, the 25-year-old receiver who reeled in a 50-yard touchdown catch in the BCS title game.
5. Taiwan Johnson has risen to the No. 1 spot at nose tackle for Arkansas despite weighing in at 260 pounds.
6. Arkansas is making sure to spend plenty of time developing its backup quarterbacks.
7. LSU is counting on Christian LaCouture to step up in a leadership role along the Tigers' defensive line.
8. LSU will be relying on freshmen at the receiver position. Malachi Dupre and Trey Quinn will almost certainly play key roles.
9. Ole Miss is still waiting on injury information for cornerback Tee Shepard, who suffered a toe injury in last week's practice.
10. Mississippi State reported 21 secondary violations during the 2013-14 academic year. Eight of those were committed by the football program.
11. Texas A&M linebacker Shaan Washington will miss 4-6 weeks because of a broken collarbone. Washington was battling for a starting spot.
12. "Muschamp is working and coaching passionately (and loud)" with Florida's defensive backs.
13. Report from Florida's practice on Monday: "The offense struggled to consistently move the ball against the defense during 11-on-11 work."
14. Freshman Detric Bing-Dukes saw time at fullback for Georgia on Monday. Bing-Dukes had been working at linebacker.
15. Maxwell Smith is trying to make sure Kentucky's coaches don't forget about him in the quarterback race.
16. Pharoh Cooper is showing promise at the receiver position for South Carolina.
17. Tennessee is getting closer to naming a starting quarterback. Coach Butch Jones said it could very well happen this week.
18. Receiver Gerald Perry is transferring from Vanderbilt. "He wanted an opportunity to go to a place where he felt like he was going to be the guy," coach Derek Mason said.
19. Barrett Sallee ranked the SEC's top 15 players heading into the upcoming season.
20. Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne called freshman Karl-Anthony Towns a "very energetic player with a whole bunch of skill."
21. The nation's top defensive tackle prospect will choose an SEC school tonight. Trent Thompson is considering Alabama, Auburn and Georgia.
22. Should the NCAA remove weed from its list of banned substances? CBS Sports asked college basketball coaches.
23. Defensive back Jalen Ramsey was back at Florida State's practice on Monday.
24. The University of Oklahoma has suspended linebacker Frank Shannon for one year. He led the Sooners with 92 tackles in 2013.