April 24th, 2014 12:30 PM ║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink ║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
1. Speculation on the Missouri search. Why isn’t Ben Howland’s agent returning multiple messages? And was Kim Anderson’s name leaked as a trial balloon? “The next 24 hours or so might be a pretty good time to test your FlightAware search capabilities.”
2. One guy who is apparently no longer a candidate – UTEP coach Tim Floyd.
3. Missouri football coach Gary Pinkel on Frank Haith’s departure. ”He had to do what he had to do.”
4. Dave Leitao was an assistant to Frank Haith at Missouri - he’ll have the same job at Tulsa.
6. With Dakari Johnson returning to Kentucky- the only players whose decisions have not been made public are freshmen Aaron and Andrew Harrison.
7. Did you know? Absent Missouri’s hire, at the age of 55, John Calipari is the oldest basketball coach in the SEC. But not too old to go on Stephen Colbert’s show.
8. LSU’s Jordan Mickey will return for his sophomore season.
9. Former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason has joined Shaka Smart’s staff at VCU.
10. South Carolina a nine-point favorite over Texas A&M? A look at opening lines for the first week of the college football schedule.
11. Wide receiver A.J. Legree is leaving Kentucky.
12. Florida receiver/safety Marqui Hawkins is transferring from the school.
13. Kevin Scarbinsky on the SEC scheduling debate: “Saban’s got it right, and Malzahn’s all wrong.”
14. South Carolina wants an eight-game schedule that eliminates permanent cross-division rivals.
15. Presidents at both Auburn and Georgia voicing support for continuing the Deep South’s oldest rivalry.
16. What is coach Butch Jones worried about at Tennessee? ”Hands down, it’s depth.”
17. Focus of concerns at Auburn - defense and special teams.
18. Georgia coach Mark Richt on inside linebackers coach Mike Ekeler ‘s obsession: “He’s got a Red Bull refrigerator. They send him cases of Red Bull whenever he asks for it.”
19. Bulldogs senior quarterback Hutson Mason on his one and only chance to lead his team.“I don’t have time to get my feet wet. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I wanted to be remembered as a champion.”
20. No lingering quarterback competition at Arkansas. Brandon Allen will lead the first-team offense.
21. Texas coach Charlie Strong is talking Longhorns-Aggies again: ”You would like to see that happen.”
22. Texas recruit tweet: “Texas has discipline. A&M is a circus.”
23. Would you believe? LeBron James is the most “Googled” athlete in every SEC state – except Kentucky and Tennessee.
24. ESPN’s Mel Kiper on Jadeveon Clowney: ”He’s a once-in-every-20-year guy.”
25. Kiper sees nine SEC players going in the first round – 17 in the first two rounds. Six of the top 10 picks projected to come from SEC.
26. Kiper on Auburn running back Tre Mason: “He’s a Ray Rice-type runner, I believe. I would say third round for him.”
27. Kiper on Ole Miss receiver Donte Moncrief: “He’s a second-round pick.”
28. From seventh round or undrafted to possible second-round pick. Why is Alabama receiver Kevin Norwood’s stock soaring?
29. Could Mississippi State guard Gabe Jackson be a nice fit for the Denver Broncos?
30. Despite being one of 30 players invited to New York for the draft, opinions are divided on when and where Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy will land.
31. NCAA meeting expected to give the big conferences more power - including the ability to provide scholarships that would cover the full cost of attendance.
32. Some broadcasting highlights of the NFL’s 2014 schedule.
33. Herschel Walker: ” I can play in the NFL today.”
|Post Comments »||No Comments|