1. Recruiting success at Texas A&M: “The question now isn’t whether A&M is the top destination in Texas, it’s, “How did the Aggies get there?”
2. Recruits don’t have to sign today. And they don’t have to sign a National Letter of Intent to play football.
3. ESPN recruiting analyst Tom Luginbill: “In this day and age, the likelihood that a prospect will actually play for a position coach, coordinator or coach on the staff that recruited them for a span of three to five years is minimal.”
4. “If you think it was torture watching your son play in high school, it doesn’t compare to college.”
6. Former Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer on talent in the Volunteer State. “I think high school football in Tennessee in general has continued to get better and better, and Nashville and Middle Tennessee in particular, because of population.”
7. “The nagging question: even if (Gary) Pinkel’s recruiting is good enough to win the 2013 SEC East, will it be to win future editions of the SEC East?” Pinkel’s Missouri program makes further inroads in the Southeast this year.
8. Who will be Arkansas’ defensive coordinator next season? ”Coach B told me that he was getting close to finding his guy.”
9. Razorbacks director of recruiting Chris Hauser: “Our philosophy is, you always have to recruit to what you believe in and the type of culture you want to create in your program.”
10. Florida safety Cody Riggs reportedly transferring. Started every game in 2013.
11. Western Georgia has signed former Mississippi State defensive lineman Quay Evans.
12. Lane Kiffin talks to Sports Illustrated about his first impressions of the Alabama program: ”It’s an absolute machine from when you step into that building until you walk out at the end of the night.”
13. Is Kentucky really the “most overanalyzed team I’ve ever seen in the history of the game, at any level, in any sport”?
14. Junior Jordan Green has developed into a leader for Texas A&M.
15. A streak breaks tonight. A&M has lost five straight. Mississippi State has yet to win a road game.
16. Alabama travels to Arkansas tonight. Both teams have lost two straight.
17. South Carolina hosts a surging Auburn team. Tigers have won two in a row in conference play for the first time since the beginning of last year’s conference slate.
18. Tennessee-Vanderbilt won’t be televised tonight.
20. Charles Barkley on Seattle breaking Denver’s codes in the Super Bowl: ”I went to Auburn. We’re not breaking a lot of codes down there.”
21. Flashback to 2007. Russell Wilson was a 2-star recruit. Top-rated QB was Jimmy Clausen.
22. NFL strikes a deal with CBS for Thursday Night Football.
23. Want to go to Sochi for the Winter Olympics? Check out these pictures of hotel rooms that are not exactly ready. But they do have a Putin picture in every room.