1. The modern fax machine turns 50 this year. Why does it still dominate signing day?
2. What happens when 5-star recruits don’t play right away? AJ McCarron: “It’s a little entitlement, and when they don’t play off the bat, they get a little ticked off and they don’t want to work.”
3. LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron is reportedly keeping some very close tabs on recruits. LA Times: “Why was it OK for Cameron to be on the same plane with three players? He is allowed to visit recruits one day per week.”
4. Why Alabama and Auburn coaches spent Saturday at the same birthday party - even took to the dance floor.
5. Attention recruiters – know your high school programs. ”I get a lot of recruiters that will walk into my office, sit down across the desk from me, look me in the eye and say, ‘Hey, Coach. What kind of year did you have?’ I want to literally throw them out of my office.”
6. Just like four years ago, Georgia has made wholesale changes to its defensive staff. But this time, recruiting has fared better in the transition.
7. Expect a quieter signing day at Tennessee this year.
8. Why is it that not a single name has emerged in an assistant coaching search at Mississippi State?
Super Bowl Sunday
9. Tennessee has the most players of any school suiting up for tonight’s game. Here are a few other fact and figures - including a school you probably never heard of.
10. How Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson fared in college against teams from South Carolina.
11. Impact of a Broncos victory on Manning’s career? “Cement his status as not only the greatest quarterback in league history but also the best football player ever.” Keeping track of the “Omaha” calls.
12. Could former Florida star Percy Harvin be the difference tonight?
13. There are 15 NFL cities colder than the Super Bowl today.
14. Both NFL Rookies of the Year come from the SEC. Alabama’s Eddie Lacy named the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year. Missouri’s Sheldon Richardson named Defensive Rookie of the Year.
15. Status of suspended Arkansas players Michael Qualls and Alandise Harris? “Remains to be seen…”
16. LSU has a basketball team that’s generating some buzz in Baton Rouge.
17. Kentucky followed up a road loss at LSU with a road win at Missouri. Coach John Calipari: “Are we this team (Saturday) or the other team (Tuesday).”
18. What about Missouri players other than Jabari Brown and Jordan Clarkson? ”They were present but not accounted for in Missouri’s 84-79 loss.”
19. Don’t look, Auburn fans. Florida State celebrates national title.
20. Greg Easterbrook: “Nearly all the social impact of football occurs outside the NFL. It’s youth, high school, and college players society should worry about.”