It looks like Petrino is continuing his education. While at Arkansas, it became increasingly clear that for his offensive scheme to work, he needed a much better defense. In his last year, he dropped Willie Robinson and nicked Paul Herndon from OSU. Who knows if the new DC would have made the difference, but the year before, it was the defense that kept Arkansas from topping Alabama, for example, as well OSU. Petrino believed that his offense could simply outscore his opponent, but in the SEC, at least, this proved wrong. The fact that he grabbed a generally respectable DC from Georgia shows that he intends to correct past mistakes, and if Grantham can at least improve on Robinson, then Petrino could become very dangerous at Louisville.
1. Todd Grantham leaving for Louisville is “a good thing for Georgia if it hires the right replacement,” writes Seth Emerson.
2. Barrett Sallee believes Georgia will benefit from Grantham leaving. One SEC coach was “disappointed” to see Grantham leave the conference.
3. Which offensive players from Alabama might benefit from Lane Kiffin’s arrival? Here are five players to watch.
4. Former LSU center Ben Wilkerson has interviewed to become the offensive line coach at LSU.
5. Vanderbilt is preparing to move on from the James Franklin era.
6. Several SEC players will be on the Heisman Trophy watchlist when next seasons begins.
7. Report: Alabama safety Vinnie Sunseri has decided to leave for the NFL.
8. Sunseri would make it five players to leave early from Alabama this year. That’s the most since Nick Saban arrived.
9. Freshman Jarell Martin was “real comfortable” coming off the bench Saturday. He scored 18 points against South Carolina.
10. Jarvis Summers has been the “most consistent” player for Ole Miss, which is coming off Saturday’s loss to Mississippi State.
11. I.J. Ready is becoming a leader for Mississippi State as the Bulldogs’ youth movement continues.
12. Kentucky coach John Calipari believes praise for forward Alex Poythress is deserved.
13. Kentucky looks like it’s on its way to meeting preseason expectations.
14. Former SEC commissioner Roy Kramer is warning that a playoff could hurt college football’s regular season.
15. Florida State’s “Red Lightning” was shown rapping and racing Colin Cowherd on ESPN2.
16. The SEC has two teams in the CBS Sports top 25 (and one).
17. There will be no changes to Miami’s scholarship penalties, according to the NCAA.