1. Another speeding ticket for South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney. Was going 84 mph in a 55 mph zone.
2. Steve Spurrier on Clowney: “He needs to go to driving school doesn’t he?”
3. Will suspensions for safety Josh Harvey-Clemons and cornerback Sheldon Dawson carry over to the 2014 season at Georgia? Coach Mark Richt won’t say.
4. What will new offensive coordinator Kurt Roper bring to Florida? Expect a fast-paced offense.
4. Quarterback Will Grier is a Florida commit – spent two summer camps with Roper at Duke.
5. Gus Malzahn doesn’t want a repeat of Auburn’s slow start from the last time the Tigers battled for a national title. “Hopefully we can learn from that experience, and get off to a faster start.”
6. Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on coaching quarterback Nick Marshall: “There was no ego, there was no laziness, he wants to work hard…”
7. Is wide receiver Sammie Coates one of the keys to Auburn beating Florida State?
8. Florida State receiver has advice for Auburn’s defense: “I’d be more of a zone guy to try to cover us.”
9. Nick Saban on former Alabama assistant and current Florida State defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt: “Doesn’t surprise me at all that he’s doing extremely well there with their defensive players because he did a fantastic job here.”
10. The appearance by Dick Butkus at Alabama’s team banquet made linebacker C.J. Mosley’s parents happy. They grew up in Chicago.
11. Alabama, Oklahoma and the star power of the 1962 Orange Bowl. It included President John F. Kennedy.
12. Only once in the past eight games did South Carolina’s defense allow a 100-yard receiver – happened against Tennessee and Marquez North.
13. Oklahoma native and Missouri wide receiver Levi Copelin will see some familiar faces when the Tigers face Oklahoma State in the Cotton Bowl.
14. Tigers also have plenty of Texas natives excited to be coming home.
15. Ole Miss is in Nashville for practice. Players will board a boat and eat ribs after practice.
17. Did LSU and Iowa players really combine to eat more than 5,000 pounds of food at Outback? (Simple math suggests not likely).
SEC History and Traditions
18. When was the last time the SEC didn’t win the BCS Championship? “Johnny Manziel had just turned 13 years old. Jameis Winston was about to celebrate his 12th birthday. Tim Tebow had yet to play a down in college.”
19. Tennessee – Florida and Steve Spurrier’s last home game in the Swamp back in 2001.
20. Breaking down the Kentucky-Louisville matchup. Who runs a better athletic department - Kentucky’s Mitch Barnhart or Louisville’s Tom Jurich?
22. Sad story. Bobby Bowden’s grandson killed in one-car accident. Second Bowden grandson to die in a car accident.
23. Former Tennessee and current Washington defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox reportedy taking the same job at Southern Cal.
24. Budget hotel rooms in New Jersey will cost about a $1,000 a night for the Super Bowl.
24. It’s good to be Michael Jordan. Hasn’t played basketball in over 10 years – makes about $80 million a year.
26. New York Times: ESPN has received about $260 million in state tax breaks and credits over the past 12 years.